Monday, November 30, 2015

A Cheap Call Up

I generally avoid shopping at the Topps Online store, but collectors can buy boxes and single cards there.  One of their "online exclusives" featured a set of 5x7 cards of players who were recently called up to the Majors.  The set is called the "Call Up Series".  The basic cards, which are serial numbered out of 99, cost collectors a mere $29.99 each through the store.  I did not buy one.  

However, I have been after the Stephen Piscotty card in the set, but I did not really feel like paying almost $30 for the card.  I watched and watched, finally one came up on Ebay that cost me just over $5.  Here's a look at the card......



The cards in the Call Up Series are based on the design of the 1952 Topps set.  The serial number on the card is in the lower left hand corner of the card.  Kind of small and hard to read.  Here's a look at the back of the card.....


Not a great back, nothing special happening on the backs of the cards.  Overall, I like the cards.  Topps already had one product this year that was based on the 1951 set, so it seems like a little repetitive to make another set off of the 1952 set.  Hmm.  

4 comments:

  1. I've picked up a few of the 5x7's of both the baseball and Star Wars variety recently. In most cases I also waited for the set breakers to list the singles I wanted on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. There are not many of these cards that seem to sell for their retail cost. A few, but not enough to make me want to risk it.

      Delete
  2. I've been aware of Topps' online-only oversized sets; however, this particular one is new to me. I normally find these sorts of obvious cash grab things annoying; but, I must admit, I love the idea behind this series. I'll have to take a look at these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are actually only 20 of them. Right now I am going to be content adding a few, but in the long term I would be excited to put the whole set together.

      Delete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...