Friday, June 12, 2015

Friday Five: Top 5 Sets From 2000

A quick run down tonight.  I have not had the usual amount of time this evening to crank out my post.  2000 was a great year for my collection.  As discussed last Friday, I was really into Pacific cards around this time, and loved busting their wax.  It's not like the whole Top 5 list is made out of their products, but in the process of putting this list together I had a lot of fun looking through all of my old Pacific cards from this year.  Without further ado, the Top 5 Sets from 2000.....



5. Pacific Private Stock 

This product ran three years and was something different each of the three years.  I did a run down on the 1999 version about a year and a half ago.  This is completely different than the 1999 version, but I still really like this portrait look.  The set had the usual Pacific trappings with different colored parallels and some cool insert sets.  The one constant between the 1999 and 2000 versions of this Pacific product were the inclusion of minis in the packs of cards.  


and who does not love minis?  It was a fun set to put together and, again, I love the look of the portraits.  I keep my sets in boxes, but if I was ever going to start doing binders and sheets I would wear out the pages in this album.  Well done by Pacific.  




4. Pacific Revolution

This is a pretty nice base set, but nothing great enough to make my list by itself.  One important thing I challenged myself to do in 2000 was to assemble a complete autograph or relic set.  I was successful a few times during the calendar year.  The first set I put together was both the autograph and relic set from the 2000 Topps HD set.  It's a small set and I pulled the toughest autograph, Adrian Gonzalez,  from a pack of cards.  I spent tons of time looking at those cards.  The Pacific Revolution set was my second attempt at putting together an autograph set.  I loved these cards......


There are some tough autographs in this set, but nothing that will run you more than $100.  Probably the toughest one is the Maddux, which did run me a pretty penny back in the day.  If you do not own one of these autographs there are 26 cards in the set and there are some really cheap copies out there.  

That's it for Pacific.





2000 SPx

This set was awesome when it first released.  There were tons of autographed rookies and people were crazy about them.  My favorite was the Rick Ankiel, but there are people who spent good money on players like Josh Beckett, Vernon Wells, Pat Burrell, Lance Berkman, Carlos Beltran, and Eric Gagne.  I look at these cards now, print run 1500, and laugh a little bit.  One of the card shops I used to visit in St. Louis was owned by a father and his son.  I was in buying cards the one day and the old man was working the shop.  I bought a few packs of these and get this 20 minute lecture about how the set was popular now, but one day I would laugh at the print runs when compared to the price.  Good call old guy.  For the record I never attempted to put together this set of autographs, but I did get a nice Chipper Jones out of this set to go with the Rick Ankiel.  



2000 Fleer

Sometimes you just need a good simple base set to assemble.  This was my favorite one from 2000.  I worked really hard on this one.  Lots of packs, lots of sorting, and when I finished I picked up the insert sets too.  So, basically its the 1954 Topps set with the players from 2000 on the cards.  The boxes of this product can be found for less than $30.  If you are looking for some cheap fun look no further......




2000 Greats of the Game

This set is far and away better than any of the other sets on this list.  I loved this set.  Loved.  The base set was cool looking with the copperish colored frames, they do chip, and the color photograph in the middle.  This was the second year that Fleer made this product, but it was nice to see them give up on the whole Sports Illustrated Baseball Card thing.  The real star of this product was the autographs.....


Lots of Hall of Famers in this product with on card signatures.  If your budget is high all of the big names from this era are here if you can find them.  Some of the autographs have become a little tricky to track down.  There are also a good number of very good players in this product who signed cards, maybe not in the Hall of Fame, but their cards are reasonable in price and not too difficult to track down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....