Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Favorite Old Timer

There is not a lot of vintage stuff that pops up on my blog space, but I do dabble in older players from time to time.  Mainly, I try to pick up their autographs.  Not to say that I just run out and grab autographs of random retired baseball players, I try to make sure I know something about the player.  I read, peruse the internet, watch a lot of documentaries and usually have a list of some old guys whom I like to add to my collection.  My biggest gap in this part of my collection is something featuring Roger Maris in a Cardinals uniform besides a late 60s Topps cards.  Maybe one of those nice Sterling cards with all the relic pieces?  Please Topps.

One of my all-time favorite ambassadors of the game from yesteryear is the great Buck O'Neill.  I had a chance to hear him talk once shortly after college.  Seemed like a really cool guy with a good story, so I picked up a copy of one of his autographs.


2001 Fleer Greats of the Game Buck O'Neill Autograph 


The bulk of O'Neill's playing career was spent playing for the Kansas City Monarchs in the Negro Leagues.  While the stats were a little bit iffy, Buck was a great hitter and is believed to have had a batting average in the high .300s.  Buck O'Neill also managed the Monarchs during the downfall of the Negro Leagues and was able to successfully lead the team to a few championships.  Apparently there were some disputes with the titles.  You can research the disputes yourself, but basically think college football with baseball teams.

O'Neill went on to work with the Chicago Cubs as a scout and was able to sign Lou Brock to a contract and was also involved in helping the team land Ernie Banks.  Some places claim he signed Banks, while others just say he knew Banks from his time as a manager and was an influence in getting him to sign with the Cubs.  His most prominent and visible roles came later in life when he starred in Ken Burns documentary Baseball.

Buck O'Neill was also key in setting up the Negro League Hall of Fame in Kansas City.  While I have not had a chance to visit yet, it is definitely on my to do list and is a two hour drive from my parents house.  Through his work at the museum O'Neill still had plenty of interaction with former players and modern players too.  Ichiro was apparently a big fan and huge admirer of Buck and would always make time to talk baseball with him when the Mariners made trips into Kansas City.

I encourage you to take a little bit of time to search the internet and check out some of the great sound bits, video clips, and articles about this baseball Hall of Famer.   Buck always had plenty to share and plenty to say.  Well worth your time.  If you like what you hear and enjoy Buck O'Neill be sure to check out some of his autographs.  He signed a few things in the late 90s, which can be pricey at times, but a good piece of history for your collection.


1 comment:

  1. also read "The Soul of Baseball" by Joe Posnanski if you haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...