Monday, April 2, 2012

Fox Sports Cards in Marion, Illinois




I am blogging on the road this week and will be stopping by some card shops that are new to me and some that I have been visiting for years.  This afternoon I found myself driving in southern Illinois and stopped by a new card shop in Marion, Illinois that was recommended to me by a former student.  Always up for an adventure I wandered off of Interstate 57 and down Illinois Route 13 to the small town of Marion, Illinois.  I actually went to undergrad an hour west of Marion at Southeast Missouri and had passed by the town several times in my life, but never stopped.  I was really impressed with the small downtown area in away from the highway.  Neat looking houses, cobblestone streets, and a really cool town clock tower surounded by a traffic circle (a must in any small Southern Illinois town). 

Fox Sports Cards is actually in the town cirlce and is a great looking shop from the outside and inside.  It's in an older building that has been shown a lot of love and I like the idea of a card shop that is next to a city hall.  The inside of the shop is also awesome.  Very neat and clean with a giant card display cases that holds baseball, football, basketball, and wax.  The store also has memoribilia, t-shirts and jersey, and other cool fan collectibles scattered throughout. 

The staff of the store was awesome.  I am not a huge fan of the GPS and can tell you about the downtown area of Marion, Illinois because I circled it twice trying to find the shop.  I called the store and the staff was happy to point me in the right direction.  They took a no pressure approach to sales and just let me look.  The baseball section of the store had a case of modern, shiny cards and a case of vintage.  The cards were, as they should be, heavily Cardinals with a few Cubs and nice Hall of Fame caliber players mixed in throughout.  I stuck with shiny and modern with a vintage twist and picked out one Stan Musial relic card from 2009 Topps Heritage and also got two packs of 2012 Topps Heritage.  I also got a complimentary pack of Lineage from last year for stopping in.  So how did I do? 


2009 Topps Heritage Forbes Stadium Relic Stan Musial

2012 Topps Heritage Reverse Image Miguel Cabrera and Hunter Pence Jersey Card




2012 Topps Lineage





You can check out Fox Sports cards on the web

or on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....