Saturday, September 16, 2023

Rental Returns

How long was Jordan Montgomery on the Cardinals?  

A year and I didn't spend any money on his cards, because he is boring along with the majority of the Cardinals current roster. When the Cardinals traded away a whole bunch of their roster a few weeks back, it was a chance for them to add some non-boring, non-terrible players to their roster and perhaps give me a few new names to collect.  

I was preparing myself for disappointment, but they actually got a decent return for a few rental pitchers.  

In particular, there are two players I am willing to collect.  

First up is infielder Thomas Saggese (sa-jas-ee).  



The Cardinals are playing Seggese at second base, currently with their Triple A team. What makes Saggese a non-boring player?  

This year, he has hit 26 home runs, 34 doubles, and 111 RBIS all with a .381 on-base percentage.  

He's currently blocked by Nolan Gorman and Tommy Edman, so hopefully someone gets traded for a non-boring pitcher who actually strikes out some batters.  

I'm hopeful.  

Saggese has a bunch of cards, including several autographs. Unfortunately, the prospecting crowd has caught up with him, so they can be a little pricey at times. I managed to land this Bowman Chrome autograph in exchange for a few other Bowman Chrome autographs. 

One more, because it's Saturday and I have a long to-do list today.  



Tekoah Roby has a little more risk, because he has an injury history. 

He also strikes out batters, which is something different for the Cardinals. His innings have been limited to just 12 over the past month, but he has 19 strikeouts with 3 walks and an ERA of 3 in those appearances.

Pretty good.  

The prospecting crowd has not caught up with Tekoah Roby, so his autographed cards are generally around $5.    

4 comments:

  1. Saggese looks like someone. Can't nail it down... but he's an actor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm. Maybe a young Adrian Brody from when he was in Predators and Darjeeling Limited?

      Delete
  2. I'm really glad that I don't have to keep up with pronouncing kooky names anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the pronunciation because I was talking to someone about him a few weeks back and was saying the gese like the bird, but I was corrected. It was later confirmed by watching a game highlight on Twitter. Might have to make that standard.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....