Thursday, September 14, 2023

Missing My Favorite Upton, Carl Too.

Not Kate, nor Justin.

I have reached my fall break and have all sorts of fun activities planned for myself.  I am three days into break, I don't have to teach students again until October, and I am feeling really productive. I have been doing carpool for my middle schooler everyday, gone shoe shopping for my first-grader, planned and cooked every meal this week, folded laundry, and replaced the rollers on the upper rack of my dishwasher. 

I could post pictures of my food, but I am more proud of fixing the dishwasher.  



I am going to do some caulking and yard work the second half of this week.  

I have also been working on filling some holes in my old Durham Bulls cards. 

It's amazing how much cheaper cards of prospects are when you revisit them after the player has retired and the card is more than 15 years old. I don't know where to find pricing data from 2007, but B.J. Upton was a pretty popular prospect back in the day. Doubtful that an Upper Deck autograph numbered to 50 would for less than $10, but today......

Too good to pass up.  



I missed this card back in the day. Not only are there several B.J. Upton cards in the UD Black set, but it was also had Justin Upton autographs, who had been the first overall selection in the 2005. Both Upton brothers in one set. Sorry, Kate was not included. Also not sure if B.J./Melvin and Justin had dual autographs, but it seems like something Upper Deck would pull off.  





I miss the backs of the Upper Deck cards. 

The autographs were always upside down in the packs and the first thing you saw was that Richard McWilliam signature and the "Congratulations" banner across the top of the card. You knew you had found something good.  

Slightly less expensive, I also found a really cool Carl Crawford autograph out of the 2005 Fleer Patchworks set. Carl was in Durham before I moved to North Carolina, but helped lead the team to their first International League Championship.  He was the first star player the Durham Bulls had as a Triple A team.  



I have always dabbled in Carl Crawford autographs, but never outright collected them. Might start dabbling with his Rays cards a little bit more here in the near future. Not sure I can touch his Red Sox or Dodgers cards, but his early cards seem like they are fun.  

More early 2000s Durham Bulls tomorrow.  

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very productive fall break! Gorgeous autographed bat card. UD Black has some of the coolest cards out there. I didn't have a lot of their baseball stuff, but I did manage to add a few basketball cards from that product to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a collector friend who put together a huge slate of UD Black basketball autographs. Not sure what year they did the college players, but he ended up with all the local guys from UNC, Duke, and NC State, maybe a John Lucas, and two or three MJ autos. At some point a few years back he gifted me a David Thompson and Spud Webb autograph. Amazing cards.

      Delete
  2. I guess this explains the sudden surge of new posts. I think you need to go on break more often :)

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....