Monday, September 4, 2023

Pujols Post - 2022 Topps Chrome Platinum

How many times has Topps used the 1953 Topps design on a card of Albert Pujols?  

Probably more times than I can count on both hands. However, the latest card of Albert on a 1953 styled baseball card has been given the Chrome treatment. There are probably only two or three other Chrome Albert Pujols card on a 1953 design, so this is isn't totally overdone. 

Not yet.  

Here is the front of the card.  


So, the artwork on this year's Topps Chrome Platinum set is not the best. What's going on with Albert's beard? Why are half the players squinting their eyes or look cross-eyed?  I guess whoever made the art for these cards at least got the uniform right.  

Also a little weird seeing a Cardinals card with the position of "designated hitter" on the front. The designated hitter is still fairly new to the National League. I thought this might be a first, but it turns out several of the other Albert Pujols cards from the past year also had his position as DH.  The difference being the cards used the abbreviation of DH and did not write it out like this card.  

I did a little digging to see if Matt Carpenter had a DH card with the Cardinals, but does not. They are all third baseman or infielder cards. Albert took over the role that Matt Carpenter had played the previous season. 

Back of the card.  


It's a rehashed design, so there is not much to compliment or criticize here. Albert's career stats are really impressive and speak for themselves. You think they could have come up with a few more facts for the top of the card. Seems kind of empty and there is so much you could say about Albert.  

4 comments:

  1. It is funny but this year chrome is really last year chrome (2022) that came out this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been running a year behind since the end of the pandemic. I guess they could double release the product one of these years, or just keep being weirdos who have a product that is constantly one year behind.

      Delete
  2. I don't much care for what I've seen from this set so far, but I figure that someone out there's gotta like it, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opened a few packs, not very impressed, but I am sure there will be a few people who put together this set.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....