Wednesday, August 16, 2023

2023 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 8

The 2011 Bowman Sterling Autograph is the 83rd Blake Snell autograph in my collection.  

Not many 2023 Blake Snell autographs, so maybe it's time to circle back and check a few older cards off my list. The Bowman Sterling card in this post was a bit of an odd hole in my Snell autograph collection. I I already own two 2011 Sterling Snell's, but both are parallels and I was missing the base autograph.  

Here is the front of the card.....



Snell was selected by the Rays in the 1st Round of the 2011 MLB Draft out of high school. Topps put Snell in two end of year Bowman products, Bowman Draft and Bowman Sterling. Both Snell autographs are stickers. Both cards are relatively cheap considering that Snell has won a Cy Young and is in contention for a second Cy Young.

Fresh out of high school Blake Snell had a better autograph than the current version of Blake Snell. A few more letters in this signature compared to more recent cards. The picture is a little goofy with Snell wearing a t-shirt and cap, most likely on a back field of the Rays training facility. However, I am sure the  Topps people were also busy trying to squeeze in photos for all ten of the Rays 2011 First Round selections.  

That's not a typo. The Rays had 10 first round picks in 2011 and they botched all of them outside of Snell. Some flamed out in the Minors, some made it to the Majors and weren't that good, and another is serving a life sentence for murder.  



The back of the card features Snell high school stats, which is better than typing "Congratulations" in giant font across the back. Nice write up too. The effort was definitely there on this card. 

4 comments:

  1. Holy smokes. 10 1st round picks? I wonder how many other times in MLB history a single team had 10 1st round picks.

    P.S. Happy to see Snell pick up another win with the Padres last night. Sure hope he ends up staying around in SD next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure the 2011 Rays are the only team that have had 10 1st Round Draft Picks. I am hoping that Snell can put together a great last few weeks. He's got a shot at a second Cy Young, but he needs to do something to separate himself from Logan Webb and Spencer Strider.

      Delete
  2. The new blog design sure looks sharp! I thought for second there that I had somehow been redirected to a different site :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted something new, played around with the design this weekend. I am glad you think it looks sharp. I started pressing buttons and changing colors and this is where I ended.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....