Tuesday, August 1, 2023

2023 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

The 2023 Topps 1988 Topps Autograph is the 82nd Blake Snell autograph in my collection.

Before I get to my latest Snell, I am going to encourage you to stay up late for a Padres game to watch Snell pitch before the end of this season. Better yet, find a weekend day game. Snell is pitching great, I dare say he's the favorite to win the National League Cy Young at this point.  


I love the looks of this latest Blake Snell card. The 1988 Topps set does not get enough love. There is no good rookie card in the set, but that doesn't mean that we cannot appreciate its quality design. Love the team names at the top with the simple white borders and diagonal name box.  


Topps stayed true to the original 1988 Topps color schemes with the cards insert and autograph cards in this year's set. I know it seems odd to pair the 1980s Padres brown color scheme that shows up on the player name plate and border with the blue colored team name, but I think it looks good.  

Nice action shot of Snell pitching in a Padres City Connect Uniform.  The pink, yellow, and pastel blue feel like something the Marlins should be wearing.  

Standard Blake Snell autograph centered on the picture and it's on-card.  

Back.  


A little odd here with the player bio information still appearing at the top of the card, but the rest of the card is taken up by Topps' standard "Congratulations" message. The "San Diego Padres" team name that is squeezed between the two is an even odder choice, especially when you consider it did not appear this way on the 1988 Topps cards. The team name is also printed in large font on the front of the card.  

Overall, another quality Snell autograph.  


4 comments:

  1. I'm so, so, so stoked that the Padres weren't sellers during the trade deadline and held onto Snell. I'm sure he'll get paid big time by someone during the offseason... but secretly hope he re-signs with SD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see the Cardinals sign Snell, but they are far too cheap. I wouldn't mind seeing him stay with the Padres, but also could see him going home and signing with the Mariners.

      Delete
  2. Have his autograph prices started creeping back up yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say they are higher, but the cheap ones are drying up quickly.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....