Sunday, August 22, 2021

Not Up To The Standards Of Jon Jay

We've reached the point during the calendar year where I have stumbled upon an acetate baseball card.  I am a long-time fan of acetate baseball cards, always have been.  Usually I find one of these cards earlier in the year, but without buying much current year product or even single cards, it is taken a little longer in 2021. 

Most of my acetate cards in the past were either parallel cards from the Topps base set or autographs from products like Strata or Clearly Authentic.  My first 2021 acetate card comes from the Clearly Authentic product in the form of a Scott Rolen autograph.  



The scratches are on the case and the autograph is not faded, the ink shows lighter on the acetate cards due to the translucence of the card.  Solid picture of Rolen and I like the design of the 1986 Topps cards.  Obviously, I wish this were a Cardinals cards.  Topps has made a ton of Rolen cards this year and they are seemingly almost all Phillies cards.  

Do Phillies fans even like him?

The back of the acetate card is one of the coolest parts of these cards for me.  



The blurred background behind Rolen does not look very good here.  The back of the acetate cards usually pop with a colored background and a reversed black and white image from the front.  This feels muted and drab.  Although, I always think the player signature showing through in reverse is neat.  

Like all acetate cards in my collection, I like to compare them to my 2014 Topps Acetate Jon Jay.  It's my gold standard acetate card.  It's not autographed, but the colors and photograph on the card are amazing.  




On the front of the card, I like the reds and greens on the accents of the Cardinals uniforms and the bleachers against the green wall and shrubs.  The look nice on the back of the card too.  



Look at the contrast with the black and white photo of Jon Jay and Matt Holliday on the colored background versus the card back above with Rolen.  It's not even close.  

I love the new Rolen autograph, but it falls short as an acetate card.  

3 comments:

  1. I love autographed acetate cards too... and that Jon Jay is sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with Jon Jay, but that card of his is pretty neat. Looks expensive too!

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....