Monday, August 23, 2021

Random Ray - 2000 Pacific Aurora

I really liked Pacific Baseball cards during the 1990s and early 2000s.  They started out as the Spanish card manufacturer, but got away from that at some point in the late 1990s.  The company had some really neat and innovated products.  There are always lots of well-designed insert sets, parallels, and die-cuts that went along with Pacific baseball cards.  I have plenty of Ray Lankford cards that fit into those categories, but I use my Random Ray posts for base cards.  

A simple Ray Lankford card.  

Aurora was a lower-end product that was often sold at retail stores.  I believe that it started out guaranteeing an insert per pack.  They were not great inserts.  The 2000 set was the most popular edition of this set because it featured Ken Griffey's first card on the Reds.  

Here is the Ray Lankford card.  




Simple enough design.  

Reminds me a bit of the 1963 Topps set with the large color photograph and the small black and white photo in the corner.  I also like the horizontal orientation of the card.  The background is a little odd.  The solid red background color is fine, but the pattern is rather odd.  On the left-side of the card the pattern looks like its carpeting or sand.  The right-side looks like something out of the background themes from PowerPoint or Google Slides.  



The back of the card is not the best, but this was never the strong suit of Pacific.  Always simple with really basic stats and a photo of the player.  I am not going to post scans of all the Pacific card backs from the late 1990s and early 2000s, but they made a little more effort than normal here.  

Just a screen shot off of Ebay.  Most Pacific cards had a stock photo from the team.  


I really like the sepia photo that they used on the back of this Aurora card.  It adds a little more personality to the card.  Especially given the reddish-brown and gold color of the font that was used for the writing above the stats and the player name.  


Not the flashiest card, but solid for a something out of a retail-oriented product.  

2 comments:

  1. A lot of people liked, and greatly miss, Pacific. Myself included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss them too. Great card company, lots of originality within their products.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....