Thursday, June 18, 2020

One Dozen Local Basketball Card #4

Here is the backstory behind these cards.

Corrections from last week:

Kelly Tripuka was better than Muggsy Bouges.  

Shoutout to Jon from A Penny Sleeve for your Thoughts for pointing out the goodness of Kelly Tripuka's playing career.  

The first half dozen for this week.  These are cards 37-42 in the 1990-1991 Skybox set.



The second half dozen.  These are cards 43-48 in the 1990-1991 Skybox set.  All the teams prior to the Chicago Bulls had been exactly one dozen cards.  The Bulls are not, so there is one card from the Cleveland Cavaliers.  Next week, the Cavaliers are not a dozen either, so the posts will now be more than one team.  


Here are some questions.  I know more about college basketball than the NBA, feel free to debate the answer to these questions in the space below.  I am not doing research for a basketball card post. 

Best player in this dozen: Michael Jordan 

Without looking (pinky swear) who went to what college.  

Last week I knew 7 out of 12.  So far, 18 out of the 36 players in the set.  

B.J. Armstrong - Iowa 
Bill Cartwright - San Francisco 
Horace Grant - Clemson 
Michael Jordan - UNC 
Stacey King - Oklahoma 
John Paxson - Notre Dame 
Will Perdue - Vandy 
Scottie Pippen - Central Arkansas 
Winston Bennett - Kentucky 

Best Card Front: The obvious answer should probably be Michael Jordan, but I am actually going to go with Will Perdue getting a dunk.  Some photographer really cared to get that picture.  

Best Card Back: The obvious answer should probably be Michael Jordan, but I am actually going to go with Craig Hodges for winning that three-point shooting contest trophy.  I believe he won the last year he was in the NBA, but they let him come back the next season to defend his crown.  

Best Cameo:  Otis Thorpe is the only person I know on these cards.  I'd guess that could be Tom Gugliotta on the Ed Nealy card, but he was not in the NBA yet.  

Fun Fact: I once went to an NC State game where Tom Gugliotta was ejected.  He was not playing in the game.  




Any favorite memories of these players?  You can also submit corrections below.  I know I got the best player right this week.  

8 comments:

  1. That MJ really is a classic. Love the front and back. Love this set for that matter. Great design even if it screams 80's/early 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the design. I don't mind sets being dated, I think that can be a good thing sometimes. More than fine with it in this case. I like the back of the Jordan card more than the front. Sort of reminds me of something that would be on a Stadium Club card.

      Delete
  2. The Jordan is fantastic. The Purdue is cool too... but I'll stick take the rainbow background and MJ soaring through the air as my favorite card front. As for colleges... I only recognized MJ and UNC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have guessed you might have known Cartwright. The Dons were pretty good back in the day, thought they might have a good following in your neck of the woods.

      Delete
  3. I hate to have to disagree with your best player assessment again, but... kidding! :)

    I don't know how much you actually care, but since you mentioned it, the cameos are as follows: Tellis Frank (as well as Rony Seikaly's arm) are on Horace Grant's card, Pervis Ellison is being hooked by Bill Cartwright, and Randy Breuer is rubbing bodies with Ed Nealy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kind of like the back of the Paxson card. Gugs getting ejected? Bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I don't collect many basketball cards, but just thinking about the ones I do own there are not many cards with players during the lineup introduction.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....