Thursday, June 11, 2020

One Dozen Local Basketball Cards #3

Here is the backstory behind these cards.

Corrections from last week:
Jim Paxson went to Dayton, not Notre Dame.  

I should have known better than to guess Notre Dame.  

The first half dozen for this week.  These are cards 25-30 in the 1990-1991 Skybox set.






Those are some crooked scans.

The second half dozen.  These are cards 31-36 in the 1990-1991 Skybox set.




Here are some questions.  I know more about college basketball than the NBA, feel free to debate the answer to these questions in the space below.  I am not doing research for a basketball card post. 

Best player in this dozen: Muggsey Bouges 

Without looking (pinky swear) who went to what college.  

Last week I knew 5 out of 12 with one incorrect guess.  So far, 11 out of the 24 players in the set.  

Muggsy Bouges - Wake Forest 
Rex Chapman - Kentucky 
Del Curry - Virginia Tech 
Armon Gilliam - UNLV 
J.R. Reid - UNC 
Dave Hoppen - Nebraska 
Kelly Tripucka - Notre Dame 

I know those are all correct.  Brian Rowsom is from around here, and I know he went to one of the smaller UNC schools.  I cannot remember which one.  

Best Card Front: Kelly Tripuka shooting the free throw.  

Best Card Back: Rex Chapman 

Best Cameo:  A.C. Green boxing out Armon Gilliam.  

Fun Fact: I am a lot taller than Muggsey Bouges.  


7 comments:

  1. Who looks more bored on the back of their card, Gilliam or Reid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Rex and his classic Olan Mills pose is awesome. The only college I knew as J.R. Reid and UNC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sweater Rex is wearing is peak 1990s. J.R. Reid was a really good college player. I am often shocked at how many UNC fans will tell me he's their favorite former player over all the other big names that have gone through that school.

      Delete
  3. I'm gonna have to disagree with your best player assessment, and switch out Muggsy, who I was big fan of btw, for Kelly Tripucka. Kelly was a stud in his prime, averaging over 20 ppg for a couple of seasons, and was a multiple time All-Star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went and did the research, and will agree with your assessment of Muggsy and Tripucka. Muggsy had a much longer career, and while he was a good player, there are not many great seasons in there. Just consistently good. Tripucka had a bunch of great seasons, and then his career had a really short fall. He went from scoring 20+ a game as a starter to playing 15 minutes as reserve overnight. I am assuming he had injuries.

      Delete
  4. After seeing your post on the Bulls cards and the Tripucka comment I had to look this post up. I was a big fan of Tripucka back in the day. It was all about scoring for him but he did it well. He wasn't the same after leaving Detroit though. I wish he'd been able to sustain that ability longer in his career. Great cards and I think it's a dead heat between him and Muggsey.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....