Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Cards I Love Part 4- 2010 Allen & Ginter Colby Rasmus

I got this Colby Rasmus card on July 8th, 2010.  It is one of the few cards in my collection that I can tie to a specific day, but there is a really good reason in the case of this card.





It was a Thursday morning.  My wife and I were going to a doctor's appointment.  She was eight months pregnant with our first child, and this was supposed to be a standard checkup with an ultrasound.  We went to the doctor's appointment, and learned that our son had not gained much weight between his seven month and eight month appointment.  The doctor we saw sent us to another doctor who suggest that they induce labor that afternoon.  

Slightly panicked, I drove home to get some things together for my wife.  Our house was in order for our son's arrival.  Our nursery looked great, but we had not really put together a bag or anything for my wife's stay in the hospital.  I got a few items shoved into a suitcase when my wife called me and told me to come back to the hospital as soon as possible.  Her doctor gave up on inducing labor, and they were just going to perform a C-section. 

I ran out the door to my car.  Somewhere along the way to the car, I grabbed the mail.  At a stoplight between my house and the hospital, about a twenty minute drive, I opened the mail and found the Colby Rasmus card.  I put it in the cup holder of my car.  It was there awhile.  

My son was born, and weighed 3 pounds.  He stayed in the hospital a few weeks.  My wife and I drove to see him every single day.  The Colby autograph sat in my cup holder driving to the hospital, driving home from the hospital, driving to work from both home and the hospital, and driving from work to the hospital.  

It never left the car.  

Eventually the little guy went home, but he was still pretty small.  




At some point when things returned to some sense of normalcy, I cleaned out my card, and put the Colby Rasmus autograph in my collection.  In 2010, I was pretty into collecting Colby Rasmus cards.  That interest has faded substantially, but the card will always be connected to my son's arrival into the world.  It's one card that I would never get rid of, and is one of my favorites even if it's a Colby Rasmus card.  

5 comments:

  1. Great story. Seems there is always a Cardinals outfield prospect who does not live up to his hype for some reason. JD Drew, Rasmus, Taveras (rip). Hopefully Dylan Carlson can break that trend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for Dylan Carlson too. Let's hope he breaks the trend.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story with your readers. If there was ever a card that was worthy of one of those 90's 1" screwdown holders... it's this Rasmus. This card is truly priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for regularly scheduled check-ups, because if you're wife hadn't been at the doctors when she was, this story might've had a terrible ending. These kinds of stories make me glad that I never had any kids, as I don't think I could've survived something like this, I just wasn't made for such things.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....