Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Cards I Love Part 24 & 25 - Cards That I Owned For A Week.

These cards are not even in my collection anymore.  I am not sure they was in my collection for more than a week.  I do not regret getting rid of them for a second, but they were a pair of cards that I will always remember owning.  Even if it was just for a few days.

I bought a box of 2001 Topps Heritage cards from the Sports Card Dugout in Webster Groves right after it was released.  I took the box home, opened the packs of cards, and landed a copy of the Classic Renditions Barry Bonds autograph.

There are only 25 copies of the card.





Even crazier is the fact that I landed a Nomar Garciaparra red autograph in the same box. 




I do not own this card either.  Owned it for less than a week just like Bonds.  

The odds for the Bonds are 1:19,710

The odds for the Nomar are 1:545

Getting one of the cards is phenomenal, especially the Bonds.  Both in the same box is ridiculous.  I listed them both on Ebay.  I got almost $1,100 for the Bonds and $200-$300 for the Nomar.  I don't remember the exact amount.  The same guy bought both.  

Are there cards not in my collection that I love? 

Yes, even if they were only there for just a week.  These are the best combination of cards that I have ever pulled from the same box.  Every once in awhile I search these two cards out on Ebay.  I am not going to buy copies of them.  I'd be sleeping on the porch.  Just kind of an ongoing curiosity.  

8 comments:

  1. For that much money, I would have sold them immediately too... especially if they weren't players I collect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $1,100 return on a $90-$100 box is pretty hard to beat.

      Delete
  2. As much as I love my Bonds autographs... I would have sold that awesome card for $1,100 too. You hit the autograph lottery with those two cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely lotteryesque. That's not a word, but I am rolling with it. I am behind on my stats class, but I need to crunch the numbers and figure out the odds of getting these two cards. I probably should have played the lottery this day instead of hitting the card shop.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Makes you wonder just who is willing to part with $1,100 for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be in some seriously hot water with the wife if I ever dropped $1,100 on a card. Most be nice to have that kind of disposable income for baseball cards.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on those pulls, and for selling them when you did, as I can't imagine that Bonds selling anywhere near $1,100 these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but this was smack in the middle of him passing McGwire.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....