Sunday, February 16, 2020

Cards I Love Part 15 - 1986 Topps Vince Coleman

I have written a lot about this card over the years, so I am going to keep this post short.  There are only so many times that you can write about a card.  A brief summary for your Sunday morning. 




There are a lot of people who have pointed out the lack of important rookie cards in the 1986 Topps set over the years.  The nine year old me strongly disagrees with that assessment of this set.  The Vince Coleman card is the best rookie in the 1986 Topps set.  It's important.  You should own one.  If you don't your in luck.  A lot of people do think there is a good rookie card in the 1986 Topps set, and this card is cheap. 

I spent my entire spring, summer, and fall in 1986 trying to pull a copy of this card out of a pack of cards.  My parents bought me two packs per week at the grocery store.  Plus there were trips to Ben Franklin during the week too.  Eventually, I landed one. 

Who wouldn't want the rookie card of the last player who stole 100 bases? 

We are at 32 years and counting since Coleman stole his 100th base of the 1987 season against the Mets in mid September. 




He ended the year with 109 steals. 

For some, the trio of Willie McGee rookies are their favorite first year Cardinal cards from the 1980s, but I gave Coleman the nod at the time.  I still like the 1986 Topps Vince Coleman rookie card more.  Nothing against Willie.  He's one of my favorite Cardinals, and I do really like his rookie cards.   This was I card I loved as a kid, and as an adult.  I still love it. 

I actually own the photo negative from the Topps Super version of this card. 




Same thing as the regular Topps card, just on a larger scale.  
 

4 comments:

  1. I remember ripping packs of 86T searching for the Cecil Fielder and this Vince Coleman rookie cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about the Fielder rookie card. That's another really underrated card.

      Delete
  2. 1986 was the first year I opened any packs. I was hot after the Vince RC, but could only pull the Record Breakers card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had that one, but it did not really count. Pretty great card in retrospect.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....