Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Cards I Love Part 26 - 1915 Cracker Jacks Possum Whitted



I have always wanted to own a Cracker Jacks card.  They are an iconic set, but the majority of players that fit my collection would likely force me to take a second mortgage on my house.  I have had my eye on a few of these cards for awhile, and finally stumbled onto one this year at a reasonable price.  Less than $100.  

George Whitted is pictured as a member of the Phillies on this card, but he did play one season with the Cardinals.  More importantly, Whitted was a player and manager for the Durham Bulls during the late 1920s and into the early 1930s.  

I never thought I would own a Cracker Jacks card.  This is currently my favorite vintage card in my collection, and it's not really all that close.  

Back of the card.  



What is not to love here?  

6 comments:

  1. I think that you created this series just so you'd have an excuse to show this card again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I avoided vintage for the longest time because of concerns about price. Now I've jumped into the 50's-60's stuff and love it. And every once in a while I look at the 30s-40s stuff, but that's an exponentially much larger price jump even for commons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same way, and I agree about the price jump. I try to avoid the really really old vintage for that reason. Every once in awhile, like this card, I will pick up a pre-World War II card, but that is a rarity.

      Delete
  3. Very cool piece of 105 year old cardboard.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....