Saturday, September 7, 2019

One And Only Clydell

Clydell is not a common name, and according to the name search on the Social Security website its never really been.  However, one of the better pitchers on the 1933 Durham Bulls was a 19 year old by the name of Clydell Castleman.  He went by Slick.  

He would end up pitching for the Giants during the second half of the 1930s.  In 1935, he won 15 games for the Giants, and in 1936 he would help them win the National League before losing to the Yankees in the World Series.  

Along the way there were a few Clydell "Slick" Castleman baseball cards.  Some are a little pricy just because they are from the 1930s.   However, I recently was able to find a 1936 Goudy Wide Pen Premium of the former Giants pitcher.  Here is a scan of the card front.....




I am not sure why they are dubbed "wide pens", perhaps something to do with the signature on the front.  These were also more baseball cards for the sake of being a baseball card than the plain Goudey cards, which were actually a card game.  They also have a glossy finish over the photo. 

Here's the back, plain with no words like "Double" or "Wild Pitch".




Not a very expensive card, and another successful addition to my developing collection of older Durham Bulls players.  Also the first 1936 Goudey Wide Pen card in my collection.  The set has a pretty long checklist, and some solid names for not very much money.  

5 comments:

  1. Don't recall knowing anything about Castleman... or this cool vintage Goudey set. The quality of that photograph is pretty awesome! Gonna have to find some of these on COMC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a fair number of these on COMC for less than $10. Definitely worth adding one to the collection.

      Delete
  2. I too have always wondered why they were called wide pen's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST ONLINE LOVE SPELL CASTER TO GET YOUR EX LOVER, HUSBAND, WIFE, GIRLFRIEND OR BOYFRIEND BACK. ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP: +2349083639501
    -Email- blackmagicsolutions95@gmail.com
    Hello Everyone Am Christian Hofman, am from the USA. I work for Apache Corporations international, I met Baba Nosa on my trip to Africa, I went there for a contract Negotiations and I lost to a different company, I was devasted and broken and just a few months ago, I had just been divorced, my wife left with my kids and this job was my way back to a good life and getting my family back. After my consultation with Baba Nosa, He performed a spell for me and I got the contract and a few months later my wife and kids returned to me and I owed it all to Baba Nosa spiritual spell and powers. I am a testifier of baba Nosa a spiritual father of many great men. for any of your spiritual problems and it will be solved. He can make you rich without blood rituals, bring back your ex_husband,ex_wife, ex _boyfriend or girlfriend only if you can text or WhatsApp baba Nosa today on
    +2349083639501. if you are having issues with the following
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams or having sex on a dream.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)If you need the power to win a court case
    (5)Any form of spell
    (7)Commanding tone spell
    (8)Protection ring
    (9)Travel success ring
    (10)Spiritual power for Men of God
    (11)Tie your husband/wife to yourself forever alone
    (12) You want women/men to run after you. (13) If you want a child.
    (14) You want to be rich without blood rituals. (15) If you need financial assistance.
    (16) Herbal care
    (17) If you can't be able to satisfy your wife's sexual desire. due to poor erection.
    (18) If you have an HIV AID sickness and power to cure cancer problems Call Baba Nosa on +2349083639501
    TRADITIONAL MEDICINE Herbal Home & Native Doctors. Office Address no 20 ivory lane, Ife Osun state... k

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr VOODOO cure me from HSV1&2 with his herbs, I was nervous when i first contact him about the cure for HSV but i decided to give him a try because i was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV. Dr VOODOO prepared the remedy and sent it to me through UPS,which I use just the way Dr VOODOO instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary to this cure and I went back to the hospital after 7 days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV1&2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr VOODOO took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HPV. Dr VOODOO heals with natural herbs. Please I urge you to contact him now through his email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2348140120719. He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...