Monday, September 2, 2019

A 1980s Card Part 16 - 1980 Topps Super Ted Simmons



Ted Simmons always had some great facial expressions on his cards.  Someone could make one of those emotion/facial expression posters for Simmons based on his baseball card photos.  Blues fans have made them for Jordan Binnington, I am sure we can get one for Ted Simmons. 



I am not sure of how the Super cards were packaged, but they are oversized cards with a blank back.  Eventually Topps made them to fit the current baseball design, but during this time period they were just a studio style picture.

I picked this card up at a little card shop in south St. Louis County about 15 years ago.  It has a gray back, most have a white back. 



The gray card backs were promotional items, but I am not sure who or where they were given out.  There is no consistent story on that anywhere.  There is also not much of a price difference when you look at these cards on Ebay.  These must have been handed out in the thousands.

4 comments:

  1. The gray backs were NOT promos. They were definitely released to stores. Both versions were in packs—there were 1-card packs with nothing visible, and 3 and 5 card packs with the top card open. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?p=1304491 Not all packs were available in all areas. The greys were the cheaper version. I managed to complete the set of grays which was a big thing for me. A year or two ago I picked up the white back set at a show for a dollar or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have read more before I posted. Thank you for the heads up.

      Delete
  2. Simba is one of my favorite Hall of Very Good guys. In fact... now that guys like Baines are getting in... maybe it's time for Simmons to get the call.

    ReplyDelete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...