Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Elite Cards

I took a little time last week to go look for a few 70s, 80s, and 90s cards that I have wanted to add to my collection.  A bunch of the cards were on COMC, a post at some point next week, a few came from a trade, and also a couple off of Ebay.  One of my quests in collecting single cards is to fill in some holes with older Cardinals and Durham Bulls cards.  

There are some really nice cards out there of players who started their careers other places, but ended up on the Cardinals at some point.  I am missing cards from the other places more so than the Cardinals.  The Durham Bulls situation is a little different, but that is for a different post.  

My two Cardinals for tonight both appeared in the 1993 Donruss Elite set, but not as Cardinals.  

First up, Mark McGwire.  



Not sure when the Donruss cards were put out during the 1993 calendar year, but it was a lost year for McGwire.  He only played a 150 games between 1993 and 1995.  I am not saying that he was totally cut out of products, but he definitely has fewer cards from those three years.  

Check out the card counts on COMC.  




When I flip through my McGwire cards from his time with the A's I feel like they are all either from his first few years in the league, or they are from his time leading up to the trade to the Cardinals.  Overall, I think this was one of his better non-Cardinals McGwire cards that I missing from my collection.  The Elite cards only had 10,000 copies, seriously tough number in 1993, but they are really popular.  Happy to add this card.  

Next and last.  




Larry Walker was not a Cardinal for long, but I feel bad that I do not have more of his cards.  He was a great player for the Rockies and Expos, and I really did not mind him as an opponent of the Cardinals.  Definitely a Hall of Famer too.  At least in my opinion.  I really need to work on adding a few more of his older cards.  This seems like a good start.  


4 comments:

  1. Awesome set! At some point I really need to add the McGwire to my A's PC and that Walker to my Expos PC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a lot more affordable than I thought they'd be. I hope you are able to track them down.

      Delete
  2. Those Elite's are crazy popular! The first couple of years of that set might be the only time when 10,000 was actually too small of a print run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to think of something with that high of a print run that is as popular as these cards. I cannot, these are great cards.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....