Thursday, May 30, 2019

Big Leagues



The scan is really crooked, but I found the last Tim Beckham autograph I needed from last year.  He was in a few different Topps products last year, but somehow I missed this card from Big Leagues.  It's a sticker autograph, but I still like the card.  There have been a few up on Ebay with "Buy It Now" listings, but I thought I could get it at a better price.  A little patience paid off. 

Which brings me to this year's Big League set.  I ended up picking up a few packs the other week at Target, the blaster boxes are dirt cheap.  I got something good out of the box too.  First off, the base set is a disaster. 



Not sure you could squeeze much more onto a card.  My ADD is kicked into overtime here.  There is a crooked photo, a wood grain background, a bar with the player name, a pennant, a ticket stub looking box with SEC, ROW, and SEAT, and the brand logo in the top right.  

It looks like the car that Homer Simpson designs in that one episode where he finds out he has a brother who runs a car company.......



Terrible.  I won't even find the single Cardinals or former Durham Bulls players in this set. 

My good card....



This design is a little better, but after a week in my collection I still do not know what is a "Rookie Republic"???? What is it?  Anyone at Topps?  

Seriously, I really like that I got a Willians Astudillo autographed card out of a box of cards from Target.  The picture on the card makes him look slender, and you cannot see the true volume of his hair on this card.  





Definitely one of the better personalities in baseball at the moment. 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on pulling that numbered autograph. Astudillo made a fine play right there. As for the base card design... I'm in your corner. Just too busy for my liking. But it does seem like half of card bloggers enjoy it... the other half doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. Definitely a love or hate kind of product.

      Delete
  2. I am in agreement. It's a polarizing set. A lot of people really like it. I do not for many of the reasons you mentioned, and many of the photos appear blurry or dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hadn't even really notice the photos. Kind of disappointing. Wonder if it's the photography, or something with the production and design of the actual card.

      Delete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...