Monday, September 3, 2018

Shades Of Bro'Neill

I have been enjoyed watching the new look Cardinals, who have been playing great baseball since the team fired Mike Matheny and made over the bullpen.  I need to find some cards of their new players and add to what I have of others who now seem like they are going to be part of the team for awhile.  In my opinion, one of the most intriguing young players added to the roster is outfielder Tyler O'Neill.

The Cardinals picked him up in a trade with the Mariners last summer in exchange for pitcher Marco Gonzales.  He seems to have a little bit of power.....


which was a large factor in the Cardinals trading for him.  

I actually went out and got a couple of Mariners cards of him last year after the trade.  Mostly Bowman and Pro Debut cards since he was still in the Minors at that time.  Nice cards, but nothing with him in a Cardinals uniform came out last year.  



This year O'Neill has started showing up as a Cardinal in several different Topps products.  I have been a little slow on finding them, it's not like they are expensive or difficult to find.  

I felt motivated last weekend after watching him have a good series against the Rockies on Players Weekend.  Well, except his jersey nickname was a little weak.  



He was one of the rare players who just put his last name on his uniform.  After the last game of the series he had an online poll to select his nickname for his 2019 Player's Weekend uniform.  Bro'Neill ended up winning.  I am looking forward to seeing that next year.  

I went simple for my first few O'Neill cards in a Cardinals uniform.  I always like finding autographs of Cardinals players, O'Neill does have one, but it is from some Panini something.  Not a big fan of the card, maybe another day on that Cardinals autograph.  In the end, I went with a few Topps Chrome cards.  

I said simple, meaning that I paid more for shipping than for the cards.  Not simple, figuring out what all the different texture and color variations in Topps Chrome.  Here are my three cards, I went for some easier to identify variations.  If I am wrong, feel free to correct me in the comments.  

Easiest one first.  




I know this one is just a refractor.  Remember when this was the only variation in most of the Chrome products?  Me too.  I like the action shot in the card.  This is also an airburshed picture, but it is actually pretty well done.  The uniform number is wrong, so is the batting helmet, but otherwise this looks like an adult actually made this card......

.....as opposed to most of the Topps airbrushed cards.  




This one is also fairly easier to identify.  I like most of the texture variations in this set more than the color variations.  However, this is one color variation that I really enjoy.  Sort of wish Topps did something more with sepia pictures.  Not sure I can put into words what I like about this look, but it's a nice card.  

Last one.  




This is a prism card.  Hard to tell from the scan, but there is sort of an inverted triangle pattern going from the top to the bottom of the card if you hold it just right.  You can kind of see it in the scan on the left side of the card behind O'Neill.  

Overall, a few nice O'Neill cards in a Cardinals uniform.  Hopefully many more to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...