Thursday, September 6, 2018

Clearly Nice Cards

I love the acetate parallels in the Topps base set.  For the past two years Topps has put out the Clearly Authentic product, which are similar in appearance to the acetate parallels, it's just that they are in a one touch case.  Last year I picked up two cards from the set.  Both were Cardinals.  One was pitcher Luke Weaver, the other was former shortstop Aledmys Diaz.  In retrospect, it feels like a struck out with those two cards. 

Clearly Authentic is a one card per pack/box for roughly $50, so I naturally did not touch a single pack.  I also decided to go away from the Cardinals this year......

First up is another Anthony Banda autograph.  He's become my go to Durham Bulls player to collect this year.  Banda is also the only player on the team who really seems to have a steady stream of cards that have been produced this year. 


I am not sure if this is pink or red, but I like the card.  The case is a little scratched up looking on the scan, but I feel like my scanner picked up a lot that is not all that visible from just holding the card.  Maybe I need to clean my scanner.  

The serial number is in the lower right hand corner, a little hard to see.  

Flip the card over.....



I always like the reverse black and white image on the back of the acetate cards.  Also kind of nice to be able to see the autograph through the back of the card. 

Last one for tonight....




I have not posted many Charlie Blackmon cards over the years, but I have always had some interest in his career.  I saw Blackmon a few times while he was at Georgia Tech, someone I glance at when I read through the box scores.  

I don't like this card as much as the Banda.  There is not much contrast here between the picture of Banda and the background, which is one of the things that makes the acetate cards stand out.  There is a lot of gray and black on Blackmon's uniform and the background is generally the same color scheme outside of the bunting above his bat.  Even the purple numbers and letters on the Rockies jersey feel muted.  




The lack of contrast really shows on the back.  It's a black and white photo, but there is little difference from the front of the card outside of the purple numbers on his jersey being a dark gray.  I actually think the best part of the back of this Blackmon card is the autograph showing through clearly.  

4 comments:

  1. I'd never actually bust this product, but the singles are awesome. Just grabbed a pair of Joey Votto autographs that I'm stoked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice. Love Votto, great player, hilarious interactions with fans.

      Delete
  2. I have yet to add any of these to my collection, but more cards need to be acetate in general

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....