Monday, July 11, 2016

Venerable Old Card Part 21

About a month ago I posted a Carl Yastrzemski card from the 1994 Carolina League 50th Anniversary Set.  I had originally been gifted this set, but was missing many of the star players from the set.  There are a few copies of the whole set floating around on the internet, but it's kind of a waste to be eight cards away from completing a set and just go out and buy the whole thing.  So, I am tracking down singles, even it is a slow process.  Here is the checklist......


I crossed off another card late last week when I found a copy of the Barry Bonds cards in the set which features him on the Prince Williams Pirates.  Here is a look at the card.....


Barry Bonds actually spent his first season in professional baseball playing in the Carolina League.  The Pirates selected him in the first round of the 1985 draft and immediately sent him to their Prince William team where he played 71 games.  His line of .299/.383/.547 with 13 home runs, 4 triples, 16 doubles, and 15 steals.  The Pirates promoted Bonds all the way up to Triple A in 1986, but he only spent half a year there before he joined the Major League team.  

Interestingly, Bonds actually lead the Carolina League that summer in OPS and Slugging, but lost out on the League MVP award to Mets prospect Shawn Abner.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...