Sunday, November 21, 2021

Oh, Hell No.

You may not know the name D.J. Funderburk, but there is a chance you've seen him on college basketball blooper videos or social media clips from last season. The full sequence of events is floating around on the internet, but NC State and Charleston Southern were playing in the opening game for both teams. After a couple of quick trips up and down the court during the first half, a player on Charleston Southern lost his dinner.  

D.J. Funderburk was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The arena was empty and D.J.'s reaction was preserved for all-time on the internet.  



D.J. Funderburk was a good college basketball player.  He scored 10 to 15 points a game and did a decent job of rebounding. I was not really thinking he would end up playing in the NBA and certainly was not on the look out for any of his cards.  However, D.J. did have a good performance in the NBA Summer League, which landed him a bunch of basketball cards.  

Love D.J., not the last card I am going to buy of him.    




As a baseball card collector, this feels really similar to Inception, but on thinner card stock.  I like the red and pink cloudy background behind the player picture with the white coloring at the top and bottom of the card.  The sticker autograph feels like a bit of a downer. This card would look really sharp with an on-card autograph.  




I wish the back of the card had some sort of write up about his career at NC State, but the majority of the space is just filled with a giant logo.  

5 comments:

  1. Lol. Normally I'm a curious soul who would click on the link... but I'm gonna pass this time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I rarely click on links, and most certainly will not be doing so this time. I can't watch people getting sick, as the images/sounds will undoubtedly pop back into my head at some later date, probably while I'm eating!

      Delete
    2. It's actually not that bad. You can see very little, mainly just D.J. yelling "Oh, Hell No".

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I've got a high tolerance for gross stuff, but I'll pass on vomit.

    Reminds me of Darren Drozdov, who threw up during a Monday Night Football game while playing on the Broncos' defensive line. The WWE later hired him to be a wrestler, giving him the ring name "Puke" and having him vomit during matches. Eventually they dropped the gimmick and renamed him Droz. Sadly, he's in a wheelchair as a result of a botched move in a WWE match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Darren Drozdov had cyclical vomiting syndrome. I know someone with that disorder, but did not know anything about it before meeting them. Spent some time looking it up and ran across him. It's a rough condition, stinks that he's paralyzed on top of it.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....