Sunday, November 14, 2021

Hang It In The Louvre

I picked up an incredible custom art card this past week. Mark Mosley is the artist of the card and can be found on both Twitter and Instagram under the user name IDrawBaseballCards.  Mark also has an online store where he sells both single custom art cards as well as small sets. He is a great follow on social media. You will enjoy his work.  

I discovered Mark's work a few years back when I stumbled across The Baseball Beyond Batting Average Podcast. Mark is one of the podcast hosts along with Andy from Baseball Card Backs on Twitter. Besides beyond a great podcast, they are both locals. Meaning the Triangle region of North Carolina. There are roughly 75 episodes of the podcast. If you enjoy baseball statistics, it's worth a listen. Mark and Andy interact heavily with the listeners of their podcast and favorite all my tweets criticizing Andre Dawson's 1987 National League MVP Award.  

I'm drifting.  Back to custom art cards.  

Mark frequently will post custom cards of players on their birthdays. Longtime Cardinals outfielder Willie McGee turned 63 a few weeks back and got a custom card of his 1986 Topps card on the IDrawBaseballCards accounts.  



I commented on the Tweet about getting Mark to making a custom card of a Topps proof photo from sometime in the 1980s featuring Willie McGee. The picture is truly bizarre, a complete head scratcher.  I have seen this several times as a "Caption That Photo" on Twitter and in baseball card groups on Facebook.  


The picture speaks for itself in a way.  Nobody really knows what is going on here, but there are so many questions that run through my mind about Willie McGee's half home and half road uniform.  Oh, there is also Mike Ramsey in the background.  What happened here? 

A day later Mark posted a custom card of the odd Willie McGee photo.  



I was surprised that he made the card, but the best part was that a made me a copy and stuck it in the mail.  Any odd spots on the photos are from my scanner.  It's smudgy at the moment.  




This is just simply an amazing baseball card.  It is definitely going to find a prominent spot in my baseball card room.  I have a sweet Willie McGee bobblehead in there.  This would look good next to it.  

As an added bonus, Mark also sent a custom 1989 Topps All-Star Ozzie Smith card.  



This is a phenomenal card too.  

I would like to thank Mark for providing some great cards to look at online and for his generosity in creating and send me the custom Willie McGee card.  My baseball card room is not exactly the Louvre, but these cards have instantly become two of my favorites.  

4 comments:

  1. I had never seen that photo before, it's too bad that it was never used for a card. I see this guy's stuff on Twitter all of the time, but have yet to ever interact with him. And yes, he is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am disappointed it was never used for a card either. No doubt they would have cropped Mike Ramsey out and made it a tighter shot of McGee's upper body and face.

      Delete
  2. Art cards are awesome! And I really enjoy Mr. Mosley's art style. Just checked out his store and might end up picking something up for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely made some cards that would be up your ally.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....