Monday, May 10, 2021

A Giant Project: Update #5

I am behind on the updates for my 1964 Topps Giants set.  I need to catch up a bit over the next few weeks.  For tonight, I am just going to post one of the cards from the set that I have added to my collection in the two months since I last updated this project.  

It's a pretty important card.  



Needless to say, I was pretty excited about adding the Mickey Mantle card from the set.  There are 60 cards in the Topps Giants set and a handful of the cards are going to take up the majority of time and money to track down.  This Mantle was one of those cards.  




There are so many Topps Giants cards that talk about players' Minor League careers on the back of the card.  Even the players who had been around for a while in 1964.  Mantle just gets a long write-up about all his Postseason accomplishments.  Wish a few more of the card backs in this set had followed this formula.  Pick something the player did well and talk about it on the card.  

I did alright here.  

Now, about that Koufax.  

Updated checklist.  22 out of the 60 cards.  


1 Gary Peters
2 Ken Johnson
3 Sandy Koufax SP
4 Bob Bailey
5 Milt Pappas
6 Ron Hunt
7 Whitey Ford
8 Roy McMillan
9 Rocky Colavito
10 Jim Bunning
11 Roberto Clemente
12 Al Kaline
13 Nellie Fox
14 Tony Gonzalez
15 Jim Gentile
16 Dean Chance
17 Dick Ellsworth
18 Jim Fregosi
19 Dick Groat
20 Chuck Hinton
21 Elston Howard
22 Dick Farrell
23 Albie Pearson
24 Frank Howard
25 Mickey Mantle
26 Joe Torre
27 Ed Brinkman
28 Bob Friend SP
29 Frank Robinson
30 Bill Freehan
31 Warren Spahn
32 Camilo Pascual
33 Pete Ward
34 Jim Maloney
35 Dave Wickersham
36 Johnny Callison
37 Juan Marichal
38 Harmon Killebrew
39 Luis Aparicio
40 Dick Radatz
41 Bob Gibson
42 Dick Stuart SP
43 Tommy Davis
44 Tony Oliva
45 Wayne Causey SP
46 Max Alvis
47 Galen Cisco SP
48 Carl Yastrzemski
49 Hank Aaron
50 Brooks Robinson
51 Willie Mays SP
52 Billy Williams
53 Juan Pizarro
54 Leon Wagner
55 Orlando Cepeda
56 Vada Pinson
57 Ken Boyer
58 Ron Santo
59 Johnny Romano
60 Bill Skowron SP









4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on crossing off a biggie for this set build!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After recently seeing how much some of his cards are currently selling for, I would have to think that this was the biggest hurdle for someone collecting this set, so I guess it's now all downhill from here for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are still a few more tough short prints, namely Koufax, but it felt really good to cross this one off on the checklist.

      Delete

Monday Morning Autograph - Felipe Lopez

I own a couple of thousand autographs, the majority have never appeared on my blog. Here is a random autograph that I have never posted.   T...