Sunday, April 25, 2021

Fan Of Game-Used Dirt

Twenty years ago relic cards were pretty popular.  Half-inch swatches of swatches of bats and jerseys that may or may not have been worn or used by a player during a game.  At some point there was a huge scandal with these cards, which I am not going to rehash in this space, and they have slowly disappeared over the last few years. 


I have boxes full of these bat and jersey cards.  I am not sure what to do with the relic cards at this point, other than to pull them out and look through them.  I don't think they are worth anything and I do not know anyone who collects them at this point. 

Still, there are some of these relic cards that are still really fun and unique. 


One of my favorite all-time relic sets was the Stadium Club game-used dirt inserts, which were in the 2000 set.  Still pretty popular cards, so I understand why Topps has recreated these cards and put them into Opening Day the past two or three years.  

I don't do much with Opening Day, but I really like the dirt relics.  

The player choice was a no doubter, although Jack Flaherty also has a game-used dirt card.  That might be a card that I had to my watch list.  


I am 100% that this game-used dirt was likely never touched by Blake Snell or even his cleats.  I am basing that statement on the disclaimer on the back of the card.  


I am just going to ignore that statement.  I am a fan of the game-used dirt.  

8 comments:

  1. I have one of those game-used dirt cards from Stadium Club that was sent to me by a fellow blogger. It's awesome! And easily the coolest Vladimir relic sitting in my collection. I've always been a fan of memorabilia cards... and still am. But they've definitely been overshadowed by the rookie card hype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really cool! If the Stadium Club dirt cards weren't all $30+, I might try to put together a set of them. Wish I had jumped on these awhile back.

      Delete
  2. I still collect relic cards...as long as I'm not paying more than about $3 a card. Actually just bought a relic of Dillon Gee off the Bay this afternoon.

    Just want to know precisely when they hold all these non-specific games, events, and seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dillon Gee. There is a name I have not heard in a long time. I saw him in Triple A when he was coming up through the Minors. Nice pitcher at that level. I like the idea of knowing the details behind the game-used whatever too. I thought that the early 2000s Playoff brand products did a good job of this with the pictures of the items. I didn't guarantee they were used, but some clearly were from the pictures on the back. Topps has done better with some products by putting stickers on jersey swatches. I found a couple cool cards out of Strata a few years back that were game used and the player did something cool during the game. Home run, multi-hit, good start, etc.

      Delete
  3. I like dirt cards as well. I haven't picked one up, but I appreciate more and more anything that isn't a plain swatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. Swatches got boring, which is another reason I think they dried up. The more unique or creative, the better.

      Delete
  4. Geez, Topps might as well have just said "Here's some random dirt to go along with a player of our choosing".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have little interest in knowing much about the production of baseball cards, but I would love to know the back stories on these cards. Just a guess, but I bet Topps did not send a representative to each stadium featured on a card in this set to pick-up a pile of dirt. Could easily see some team employee take some soil out of the flower bed in front of their house and mail it in.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....