Wednesday, April 8, 2020

The Super Utility Team Part 1

Have you watched a Rays game in the last few years?  Is it just me, or is the team filled with utility players?  The answer is yes, they are everywhere on their roster.  Two weeks ago I posted a bunch of cards of players from last year's Durham Bulls team.  I know a lot of people do not necessarily follow the Minors outside of the big name prospects, so I gave a little blurb about each of the players.  

They sounded pretty ordinary.  

Like for Nick Solak...... 



I wrote that I saw him play in college, he went to Louisville, and that he was traded to the Texas Rangers.  What I did not mention was that Nick Solak played four different positions while he was in Durham last year. Seems to be a common practice with the Rays these days with the Minor and Major Leaguers.  Teams are using more relievers and have shorter benches, so who can blame them for getting players time at different places on the diamond while they are in the Minors.  

I decided to single out a couple of my recent trades and purchases for their own posts highlighting all of the utility players that appeared in Durham last year.  It was like watching a team of Jose Oquendo's, only it's less surprising when they hit a home run.  




Up first for my utility players is Michael Brosseau, who played every infield position and left field for the Durham Bulls.  He also played 51 games in Tampa where he played every infield position, left and right field, and he pitched in three games. Sure, all the pitching appearances were in lopsided losses, but he's got an ERA of 4.50, so he's better than Brett Cecil.  

This is a good looking card.  



I got this off of Ebay.  It's out of this year's Inception set.  I always like this product, but usually have to wait a few weeks to buy the cards.  I understand that people spend a lot of money to buy boxes of Inception, but I am not spending $40 on a card of Michael Brosseau.  

Yes, I really like him as a player.  Just not $40 worth of appreciation.  

Brosseau was signed out of Oakland University, the one outside of Detroit, as an undrafted free agent.  I am not sure that I have ever really seen him mentioned on any prospect lists, so he does not have many baseball cards before this year.  Since the 2020 releases have started to come out, Brosseau has appeared in the base Topps set, Heritage, and Inception.  Looking forward to finding more of his cards.  

4 comments:

  1. Have you watched a A's game in the last few years? Lol. They're known to invest in utility players as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The A's and Rays are the same team on opposite coasts.

      Delete
  2. The Rays do seem to know how to get the max value out of players and pitchers.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....