Monday, April 20, 2020

The Normally Scheduled Post Has Been Cancelled

Monday post are always about a 1980s Cardinals card.  There are plenty of 1980s Cardinals cards still left to write about. However, while we all have a little extra time at home, I am using my card time to do some sorting, appreciate some of the cards that I have not looked at in a long time, and fill in a few holes in the collection.

Today, I thought I would cover a little long running side project that I have been working on the last few years that I was able to move forward recently.  I dabble in basketball cards.  I post some here and there, and in celebration of the Blues winning the Stanley Cup last June, I posted my 1961 Fleer St. Louis Hawks cards.  The connection being that the city of St. Louis had a team win a championship in the other three sports leagues prior to the Blues winning last season.  Many people forget that the Hawks were in St. Louis, and that they won an NBA Championship while they were there.

I have most of the St. Louis Hawks 1961 Fleer set, I am just working on the last few cards.  In the last weeks I found two of the missing cards that were in my price range, so I added both.

First up, a card of Len Wilkins, or Lenny Wilkins.





I am not sure if this is a rookie card, but he was drafted out of Providence College in 1960.  Seemed like a good player, but I don't know too much about his play on the court.  I just remember him coaching the Cavaliers and Hawks for a really long time.

Love the colors on these cards with the black and white player photos.  Really pops.  Love that Hawks logo too.  Almost looks like a volleyball, or something besides a basketball in the hawks talons.

My second new Hawks card.



I know that many people who collect this set like the base cards much better than the action shot subset.  They are kind of an after thought, but I like this card of Cliff Hagan.  I wish I knew more basketball players from the 1960s, and could figure out everyone who is in this picture.  Jerry West in the background perhaps? Anyway, I know that Hagan was a really good player around this time, multiple All-Star games, and ended up in the Basketball Hall of Fame.

One more Hawks card to find.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. A young Lenny kinda reminds me of Isaiah Thomas. Anyways... these two cards are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that the action shots were the best part of this set, heck, Bill Russell's is one of my favorite cards of all-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to go look up the Russell card. That's a really sweet card, especially that Celtics logo at the top.

      Delete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...