Thursday, March 28, 2019

Random Envelopes

I spent the end of last week wrangling 80 some fifth graders around Washington D.C..  It's a cool field trip for my students, but leaves me feeling zapped for a few days afterwards.  I still like going, Washington is a fun place to hang around. 



My mail from the first half of the week and end of last week has piled up, so I am condensing it into one short post.  Three envelopes with four cards.  

Envelope 1.  




I did a lot with Anthony Banda cards last year.  He started out the 2018 season with the Durham Bulls, pitched briefly for the Rays, and ended the year on the D.L. after going through Tommy John surgery.  This Triple Threads card was one I was missing.  For some reason, his cards alternate between him being on the Rays and Diamondbacks.  Don't know why, it's just the way Topps rolls.  

Envelope 2.  




The white mark on the left is on the protective sleeve.  Lucchesi went to Southeast Missouri, which is where I went for my undergraduate degree.  It's a teacher's college that is about half way between St. Louis and Memphis.  Not exactly a powerhouse for cranking out professional athletes.  Lucchesi is amongst a small number.   I have been collecting his cards informally since last fall.  I am not going after anything super rare, just some nice looking cards.  I liked this black bordered Heritage card.  Sharp.  

Which brings me to Envelope 3.  Related to envelope 2.  There are two cards.  




Who is Kelvin Anderson?  I actually had someone offer to send me some cards of him a month ago after I posted a Lucchesi card.  He is another professional athlete from Southeast Missouri.  We missed each other in school by a year, but he was a really good player on a really bad team.  I would be surprised if the Indians, now the Redhawks, won 10 games in the 4 years I was in college.  

"The Earthquake", he is from New Madrid like the fault line, had eight consecutive seasons with more than 1,000 yards rushing in the CFL.  Anderson also won the CFL Grey Cup twice.  Two years ago he was elected into the Canadian Football League Hall of Fame.  

Finally, this gem.  





What is this card company?  They make cards of players from Southeast Missouri in a Southeast Missouri uniform?  They are playing Austin Peay in this picture, which might be one of the few Ohio Valley schools that Southeast Missouri has been able to compete with over the years.  Not really a good thing. 

There are copies of this card for $1.50 on Ebay, and there are 7.750 copies.  Not very rare, nor really in demand for a guy in a Hall of Fame.  Still really cool to find out a little bit more about his cards. 

On a side note, the football team has been better of late.  They made the playoffs last year, and won a game in the first round.  They also played Kansas a few years back.....


and came within a touchdown of the Jayhawks.  I mean it's Kansas, but still.  

2 comments:

  1. Signature Rookies was the card company that turned me into an autograph junkie. I was buying up tons of the 1994 Draft baseball product, because they guaranteed an autograph per pack. Hard to believe that was 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The CFL has a Hall of Fame? Learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....