Sunday, November 11, 2018

You Dashed My Hopes

Back in February I was really excited about the Cardinals trading for Marcell Ozuna.  He was coming off a career year with the Marlins and he seemed like a good consolation prize for the Birds losing out on Giancarlo Stanton.  I immediately went out and found a few cool Marcell Ozuna cards.  This Heritage autograph was probably my favorite....




I also assembled a list of other Marcell Ozuna cards that might be fun to track down during the season.  Life seemed good until the season actually started.  There were moments early in the year where Ozuna looked really good....




but the majority of the season was completely disappointing. 

My list of Ozuna cards went by the wayside and none of them appeared in my collection.  I am still not sure if I will ever really take the time to go track them down, unless things drastically change in terms of his on the field production.  Ozuna is also a free agent after this season, which could be a good thing if he does not hit. 

Topps has gotten around to making Ozuna cards in a Cardinals uniform.  They even got around to making an autographed card of him for the Topps Tek set.  Kind of a spontaneous get, but it is a nice looking card....



I always enjoy this set, although I have given up on even figuring out all of the different patterns on the modern edition of these cards.  The metal looking thing behind the players on this year's issue look like something out of the Metal Universe cards, a little out of place.  It does not ruin the card or anything though.  

I picked up one other Topps Tek card of a Cardinals player.....  




of catching prospect Carson Kelly.  I have actually been avoiding his cards a bit the past two years.  I know many see him as the catcher of the future with the Cardinals, but it also appears that Yadier Molina is not slowing down at all.  Wouldn't be shocked if the Cardinals do not use him in a trade.  In the meantime, he ended up with a card in the Topps Tek set.  It was not quite free, but y'all know you have to take advantage of combined shipping.  



5 comments:

  1. I can't get into Tek at all. The Kelly is much more attractive than Ozuna. I'll be watching for Kelly to be traded. Molina is put for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Tek is definitely hit or miss with collectors. I know plenty of people on both sides of the fence. I do agree that the Kelly card is more appealing to the eye. Let less going on.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy Tek autograph... since they're on-card... but worry if they'll fade faster than standard cards over time. As for Ozuna, I didn't realize he struggled so much this past season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had a TEK autograph fade, at least I think I haven't. I need to go back and look now!!! Hopefully they don't end up being as bad as the Sweet Spot cards from 2006 or 2007.

      Delete
    2. Me either. I just remember the Laserview Inscriptions from the mid 90's that were signed on acetate. A lot of those faded, so that's always been in the back of my mind.

      Delete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...