Friday, November 23, 2018

Gibby and Straw

I put a lot of effort into collecting the current players on the Cardinals and Durham Bulls.  Sometimes it is nice to stray a little from the norm and find some cards of players who have retired.  Whether they are on vintage cards, or modern releases, I am happy with either.  I usually have two different types of players I look for when I go after these types of cards: former Cardinals players, occasionally some older Durham Bulls players, and players I watched in person growing up.

I managed to add a pair really nice cards recently, one from each of the aforementioned categories.  

Let's start off with the non-Cardinals player first.



I have really enjoyed finding some of the cards of players from the 1980s and 1990s that Topps has put into some of their products over the past few years.  The selection of players is obviously limited to some degree, but it's still nice to see the players who were important to the baseball card sets from the 1980s pop up in current sets.  Strawberry definitely fits that description.

Strawberry was also in the greatest softball related prime time television episode ever....


This Strawberry card actually was being sold with the other card in this post and I love combined shipping costs.  It also helps that this card, which is from a box/pack of cards that sells for more than $100, cost right around $5.  I love Five Star cards, as long as someone else is spending the money to open the box.  I know, it's not serial numbered and does not have some fancy coloring.  Great looking card of the former Mets, Dodgers, and Yankees star.

On to the really important card.





This card was not around $5.  However, it is the first Gibson card that I have picked up in awhile.  I have two dozen or so different Gibson autographs, and at times I really think about whether or not I should really have another one of his cards in my collection.  Inevitably, at some point point every year, I give in and add another autograph.  Gibby is now over 80 years old and his autograph has remained sharp over the years.

I try to make sure that whatever card I find is somehow unique, or possesses something that sets it apart from the other Gibson cards in my collection.  Not sure exactly how this fits in with the other Gibson cards already hanging out in my card room, but I am not sure I really care in the case of this card.  It simply looks great.

The picture on this card is pretty amazing too.  Topps can be repetitive on pictures, or they tend to stick with the same era, but I feel like there are a lot more 1970s Gibson photos than 1960s.  This is clearly a 1960s card.  Add in a nice design with a big empty space for the player's signature, great baseball card.

2 comments:

  1. Year in and year out... Five Star on-card autographs rule! $5 for the Strawberry is an especially sweet deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I have been a fan since the beginning. Best high end product that Topps puts out.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....