Saturday, January 28, 2017

Perfect Pack Card

It's hard to believe that the college baseball season is fast approaching.  In fact, I was somewhat taken by surprise yesterday to check my Twitter feed at the end of work and see that there were dozens of pictures of local baseball teams out on the field in preparation for the upcoming season.


It should be a fun year locally.  My Wolfpack are ranked 6th in the D1 Baseball poll, but the ACC also has Florida State 3rd, UNC 9th, Louisville 12th, Clemson 15th, UVa 17th, and Miami 21st.  East Carolina is also ranked 10th.  I will definitely be checking out a few games once the season officially gets underway.  In the meantime, we live in an age where college baseball players have baseball cards....

I was a little surprised to find my latest NC State baseball player on cardboard.  In the past I have posted cards of Carlos Rodon and Trea Turner while they were in school at NC State, but both players were highly regarded players who appeared for USA Baseball and were considered slam dunk high first round selections.  Guy on my new card?  He did pitch in a game or two for USA Baseball, but did not spend the whole summer with the college All-Star team.....

Here is the card.....


Even if you follow college baseball, you might still be a little lost on Tommy DeJuneas.  He is from the Charlotte area, participated in the Perfect Game program, but was never drafted out of high school ending up at NC State.  His freshman year (2015) was outstanding ending with 39.2 innings pitched, 57 K's-25 BB, and six saves for the Pack.  Last year was a little bit shaky with an ERA north of 6 and a drop in strikeout rate, and increase in walks, hits, and home runs allowed.  

Still, DeJuneas is one of my favorite players on the team and I am looking forward to seeing him pitch this year.  I have a good feeling about this guy.....



Completely surprised to find this card, but very happy to add it to my collection.  I might have to do a little more digging into some of these Perfect Game sets for some more cool college players....

No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...