Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Set Appreciation Post #3 - 2002 Topps Super Teams

No music this week.  

Basic Design 

I really like the concept for this product, and I am kind of bummed out that Topps only put this out once.  The set features players from 11 different World Series winning teams starting with the 1954 New York Giants, and ending with the 1986 New York Mets.  In between there are cards for the 1955 Dodgers, 1957 Braves, 1960 Pirates, 1961 Yankees, 1967 Cardinals, 1969 Mets, 1970 Orioles, and the 1974 A's.  

I am not going to scan cards from every team, but the fact that there are only a few teams represented in the set probably limited the appeal of this product.  As a Cardinals fan, living in St. Louis when this was released, I was all for owning some cards of the 1967 Cardinals.  

So, here is the quick run down.  

Each team has roughly 15 cards in the set.  Each team features one manager card, roughly a dozen base player cards, a World Series MVP card, and a team card.  Here's a look at each.  



The manager card is the first in each of the 11 team sets within Super Teams.  I am glad that Topps put the manager cards in here.  There are some great names here, including a few Hall of Famers.  The design of the manager card is roughly the same as the player card outside the obvious "MANAGER" stamp across the top.  

I also love that Topps used the time appropriate logos on the bottom of the card.  



The card backs are generally the same.  The player cards have stats, which you will see in a moment.  My only complaint about this set, leaning heavily on the appreciation in the post this week, is the location of the card number.  It's a little weird off to the bottom left.  

Here is the team card.  



I am not sure who the artist was for these pictures (Gardner??), but I really like how they are done.  Each has three or four players on the front with the team name at the bottom of the card.  All of the manager, base, and MVP cards are portrait style, while these team cards are all landscape.  I am a big fan.  




The back of the team card has a little write up about the players in the picture.  If you work at a card company, and you're looking for a way to make a good team card, these are well done.  

The base cards have a decent design, and I really like some of the pictures that Topps used in the set.  The Durocher at the top had a black and white photo, but the cards after the 1955 Dodgers, 95% of the cards have color photos.  



This is a nice card of Roberto Clemente.  Again, I love the little logo on the bottom of the card, which was used by the Pirates in 1960.  The card back.....



The base cards all have a little blurb about the player, along with their stat line from that season, and the career stat line.  I like this card back.  I am going to ignore the weird placement of the card number 50 on the side of the card.  The write up on the base cards gives a little bit of information about the player from the championship season, and their overall career.  

Last one.  



Each team set features a World Series MVP card.  The front has the red, white, and blue script at the top.  The biggest difference is the content on the back of the card.  



The World Series MVP card for each team has a write up specifically about the player's performance during that World Series.  The stat line also only features their numbers from the World Series.  

Favorite Former Durham Player 

There is not a former Durham Bulls player in here, so I am going to share the card of someone with a loose connection to a former Durham Bulls player.  Here is the card......


Story time.  

This is Fred Haney, the manager of the 1957 Milwaukee Braves World Series team.  He took over a Braves team that featured a lineup a deep lineup anchored around Hall of Famers Hank Aaron and Eddie Matthews.  The Braves had actually been a very good team throughout the mid 1950s, prior to Haney taking over as the manager.  

Rewind to 1952.  The Braves were a seventh place team.  They fired their manager mid-season and hired former Cubs manager Charlie Grimm.  He was the last manager to get the Cubs into the World Series before 2016.  Grimm also played for the Durham Bulls prior to a long productive career with the Cubs.  

Non-set card.  


I've written about Charlie Grim before.  He really under appreciated.  What did Charlie do?  

Grimm's first moves as the Braves manager were to dump the older players on the roster in favor of younger players whom he saw as more talented.  A 20 year old Eddie Matthews was given the starting third base job.  In 1953, he got rid of more old players at the end of their career and gave 20 somethings Del Crandall and Joe Adcock the starting catcher and first base jobs.  Probably his best move came in 1954 when he opened up a starting outfield job for Hank Aaron.  

Grimm finished in second place a few too many seasons in a row, so he was fired in 1956.  While Grimm did not manage the 1957 Braves, but his finger prints are all over the roster.  

Favorite Cardinals Card 

There were autographs and inserts in this set too.  The autographs are all on card, and worth your time to find if you are a fan of the teams featured in this set.  I like the Cardinals cards in the base set, but autographs are nice too.  A ways back, I went out and found a really nice copy of an autograph of Bob Gibson.  

I posted this a few years back, so I am going to reuse that scan.  



That was a few scanners ago.  

I don't love relic cards, but this was way too good of a card to pass up.  

Favorite Non-Cardinals Card 

The Super Team set is loaded with all sorts of Hall of Famers, so it feels like a tough task to pick out one single great non-Cardinals card.  Like the previous two Set Appreciation posts, I am going with style over any sort of substance.  

Look at this picture.   




In a set full of nice portrait style photographs, I am picking out Rollie Fingers because of the facial hair.  I didn't scan the back of the card, so you can't look at his stats from the Series.  Rollie Fingers pitched 9 innings in 4 games, which was good for 1 win and 2 saves.  Mariano Rivera never pitched that many innings in a single Postseason Series.  

So How Does It Rank?  

This was a tough call.  That Ionix set from last week is still dead last.  I had to go back and re-read my 1986 Topps Mini League Leaders set post.  Here is what I am going with....

1. 2002 Topps Super Teams 

8 comments:

  1. Very cool set. I don't normally chase team sets, but I might have to look into building this one for the A's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a good one to own Fuji. There are also a few different A's on the autograph checklist.

      Delete
  2. Yup. Like this set. I need to do a better job of completing the Dodgers portion. The A's cards are my era. I really like the Joe Rudi one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, the picture on the Joe Rudi card is excellent. Unfortunately, the Mets are the only team in this set from my lifetime. As a Cardinals fan, the 1980s Mets are not exactly my cup of tea.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, that was really screaming for a sequel. 11 teams, and 5 are from New York? I'm a Mets fan, and I'm a bit embarrassed that we got two of the slots. The Big Red Machine is a major omission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of New York, but it's not like they were undeserving. I think set is good, but would probably been stronger if they had actually made a follow up set and included some teams like Reds. Sets like this are better than Archives, which is starting to infringe on Heritage. Just my opinion.

      Delete
  4. This set is new to me, but I sure like the way it looks, and after doing some checking, there's quite a few cards on the checklist that I could get for player collections, including the previously mentioned Rudi, which really is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth checking out. Not sure why it is not more popular, or why Topps did not do a follow up set with different World Series winning teams.

      Delete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...