Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Cashing Out

Sometime in April, I bought one Topps Project 2020 card of Bob Gibson.  I liked the looks of the card, and it's not like I am spending much on cards at this point.  Why not?  I made a post about the card a few weeks ago.  Really good looking re-creation based on his 1959 Topps rookie.



I have bought a few other Project 2020 cards over the past month.  I like some of the designs.  That's the only reason I have touched some of those cards, just simply like the looks of the card.  Somewhere along the line, people started going crazy over some of these cards.  Magically, what I bought for $20 in April ended up selling for several hundred dollars on Ebay.


Now, I love the looks of this Project 2020 card, but you know what's better than a card that is some artist interpretation of a Bob Gibson rookie card?

If you were thinking an actual 1959 Topps Bob Gibson rookie card, you're correct.  The second the card hit $400 I started thinking about how to best cash out this Gibson for another Gibson.

About a week and half ago, I unloaded my copy of the Gibson Project 2020 card, and pulled in a new vintage Cardinals card that always seemed like a bit of a stretch.

I am going to let this card do most of the talking. 




The front of the card is really clean.  Yes, the centering is off side to side and top and bottom, but it's not like I am sending this into PSA or anything.  My trading partner had a rougher copy, and was willing to flip me that Gibson rookie along with a really low graded 1954 Red Hearts card of Musial.  I stuck with just one clean Gibson rookie.

Here is the back of the card.



The cartoon at the top is something.  

I will miss my Topps Project 2020 Gibson card, but this 1959 Topps Bob Gibson rookie is too good to pass up.  Another time, another place, maybe the Project 2020 cards will not be selling for a few hundred dollars.  Probably next month.  

26 comments:

  1. I would do that swap in a heartbeat. Well done and congratulations on adding such a beauty of a card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a great decision. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Although some of these Project 2020 cards are cool, I'd choose a vintage HOF rookie card over one of them any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fuji! I think a lot of collectors would make this trade in a hot second.

      Delete
  4. Good call! Especially getting such a nice copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really clean. That Red Hearts Musial was tempting, but this is just way too nice.

      Delete
  5. Great swap. Interesting that his '59 card appears to be a drawing rather than a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about that. I am going to have to do some digging on that.

      Delete
  6. Easy call and excellent pick up! I'll never understand hobby valuations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy stuff. I do not understand why people are willing to pay some of these prices on Project 2020 cards.

      Delete
  7. Awesome trade! And I suspect that the 2020 card will come down quite a bit at some point, so you'll probably have many more opportunities to reacquire another cheap copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be phenomenal if it happened. I have it on my watch list on Ebay, only time will tell.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Great decision.

    I'd bet $100 that those 2020 Project cards drop way down in price-- The print run on those is just way too high to keep value.

    Meanwhile, your Gibson rookie will stay awesome (and won't lose value)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Project 2020 Gibson card I traded is already down into the 200s. You're right, this Gibson rookie is going to keep it's value at worst.

      Delete
  9. Oh man! I almost bought that 2020 card because it was so close to the 1959 Topps version that I still am looking for to complete my set... serious non-buyers remorse over here. Good decision, and one I would also make in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will come back down in price and you can snag one.

      Delete
  10. That's great. The Topps Project cards haven't resonated with me but I've seen their values go up so they are definitely a hit. You really did well getting a true gem there. Good job and post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some of the artwork, so I have kept up with them. The prices crashed as fast as they went up.

      Delete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...