Thursday, June 15, 2023

Sellers' Regret

I used to love Pacific autographs.

I had tons of them.  

One of my favorite Pacific autograph sets were the Die-cut autographs in the 2000 Omega set. They were great looking cards. 

Here is my copy of the Gary Sheffield autograph as an example.  


I did not have the whole set or anything. Putting together whole autograph sets is not really my scene. Always seems like a lot of time and money to accomplish that sort of thing, but I know there are plenty of collectors whose opinions differ from mine. 

So, roughly ten years ago I ran into such a collector in a Facebook collecting group. We had actually made a few trades when he posted that he trying to finish up a project to complete the Pacific Omega autograph set. He was missing two autographs, both Cardinals. Cal Eldred is a White Sox on his card, but I owned the card because he was on the Cardinals for three years.  

I sold him the two cards.  

Do I miss Cal Eldred?  

No. 

Do I miss the other card? 

All the time.  

I have not been the best about searching out Ebay and COMC for the card, but I also no that it does not come up often and can cost more than I am willing to spend when it does appear. Well, this weekend I saw a copy on a Facebook group for a reasonable price and ended up buying it.  

The card.  


One of the worst cases of sellers' regret that I have ever experienced.  

I have plenty of other Jim Edmonds autographs hanging out in my card room, but this was always one of my favorites. In retrospect, it is kind of crazy that I sold it, because I rarely sell off my cards. I give them away and I trade, not a seller though. I was being too nice.  

Here is the back of the card.....


Love that Pacific gives you a write-up about the player rather than one of those "Congratulations" messages that are typically stamped on the back of certified autographs.  

Love that Pacific used a picture of Jim Edmonds with frosted tips in his hair. It's the type of fashion statement that is the perfect intersection between bad late 1990s/early 2000s style and the persona of Jim Edmonds, or "Jimmy Ballgame".

Needless to say, the card is staying in my collection this time around.  

8 comments:

  1. Those are awesome autograph designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pacific always made great cards. I miss them so much.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, I've never seen these before. They're really quite fetching! And it may've taken you longer than you would've liked, but at least you were able to finally find a replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a very big set, although they also made these autographs for Pacific Omega football. Yes, I feel very fortunate to have the card back. I know a lot of times the story doesn't end this way.

      Delete
  3. Attractive design... and two big names. I would consider building this set, but the only other autographs on the checklist that I'd want are Nomar Garciaparra and Frank Thomas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I believe that Nomar is one of the tough finds in this set. No serial numbers on the cards, but there are a few cards that are obvious short prints and Brady Clark signed 10,000 copies of his card to even out the odds on the back of the pack.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....