Thursday, July 25, 2019

A Doubleheader of Bulls

Continuing with the theme on several of the posts from this month, a few older cards with Durham Bulls players from before World War II.  One of the players is new, another has already been featured in a post this month.  Let's go.  



This card is from the 1941 Doubleheaders.  The Reds held an affiliation with the Bulls during this time, but only Koy made an appearance in Durham.  Joost did not play long in the Minors, and it appears that he skipped past the Bulls.  Koy was mainly a fourth outfielder in the Majors, but he is in the Hall of Fame at the University of Texas along with his two sons who played football there in the 1960s.  

They have football cards.  



Not my card, not really into the Horns. 

Next.  



This is my second Mace Brown card.  Earlier this month I picked up a 1940 Play Ball card.  This is from the 1936 Goudy set.  The colors look a little weird, but I like adding another Goudy card to the collection.  Mace Brown really deserves his own post one of these days.  Next time I get one of his cards I will give it a solo post with a little more information about his career.  Important player and person.  

2 comments:

  1. 1941's Double Play is an interesting set, and one that you don't see on the blogs too often. As far as pre-war sets go, they're fairly affordable, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of people collecting them? Regardless, they are always fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too familiar with the 1936 Goudey set (or the 1941 Doubleheaders)... but your Mace is a good looking card.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....