Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Venerable Old Card Part 51

I am not a Yankees fan.  I am not going to make some post claiming that Derek Jeter is the greatest shortstop of all-time, nor the greatest modern shortstop.  Still he has been really important to the baseball card hobby and I felt I could take a few minutes to give him a little love on the night the Yankees retire his number 2.  Specifically I wanted to take a few minutes to talk about my favorite Derek Jeter rookie card.



I really liked the Stadium Club cards back in the early 1990s.  Upper Deck was probably my favorite of the glossy "premium" cards from that era, but Stadium Club was not far behind.  At the time the Stadium Club Murphy and Stadium Club Dome sets were released they were some what of an oddity.  A boxed set in a plastic stadium.  The guy at my local card shop at the time thought that they were pretty ridiculous.  I don't remember the conversation when I picked up the Murphy set, but I got a long talk about how the Dome set was "gimmicky" with filled with "senior photos in their mom's backyard" when I bought a copy during college.

I somewhat agreed with him.  I actually don't have my box for either one of the sets.  I broke them both and at some point tossed the box.  Given the number of singles from the set floating around I don't feel too bad being without the boxes.

This is what it looked like....thank you Ebay.....



The Jeter card didn't feature him wearing a cool high school or American Legion uniform like Shawn Green.....


or making an fashion statement straight out of a Bell Biv DeVoe video like Ozzie Timmons.....


It's still easily my favorite Jeter rookie card and probably my top overall Jeter card in my collection.  Not that I go out of my way for his baseball cards, but I feel like this card is one of the most iconic 1990s baseball cards.  It's not the Griffey rookie card, but if I made a list I would have it in my top 10.  


2 comments:

  1. Nice looking Jeter - his young face staring back at me just makes me feel even older. I'm now a Yankee fan but always liked him. He was a class act! Funny to see the Dome here. I just shared a few of those grad cards too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. The Yankees are one of my least favorite teams in professional sports... especially the Yankees during the Jeter years. There was that 10 to 12 year period where they just dominated and with each passing season, my Negative Nancy attitude grew. With that being said... I eventually learned to admire Jeter. I won't be starting a PC of him anytime soon, but I'll still pick up his cards from time to time. My next purchase might need to be this Stadium Club card.

    ReplyDelete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...