Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sweet Rays!

The season came to a close for Rays a few days ago when they lost in Game 4 of the ALDS against the Boston Red Sox.  Much of the focus after the loss focused on long-time Rays ace, and former Durham Bull, David Price.  It's clear to many that the Rays will likely trade Price this off-season and will go into rebuilding mode next year without their ace.  However, I strongly disagree with this take on the Rays.

Yes, the Rays will likely trade their ace, but if the James Shields and Matt Garz trades taught us anything, its that the Rays will make a good trade for the Rays and will use Price to restock their minor league.  Not that it really needs to be restocked.  So, if James Shields was worth Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, Mike Montgomery, and Patrick Leonard I think it's safe to say that the Rays will make out just fine in trading Price.  I will still collect my David Price cards, but will have a few more good young players to track down.

Until then, I am still working on finding some cards of Rays current minor leaguers and ran into a pair of really cheap relics this past week.  Both cards come from the recently released Topps Heritage Minor League set.  The first is most likely the initial replacement in the Rays rotation for David Price.


2013 Topps Heritage Minor League Enny Romero Clubhouse Collection Relic 


Romero pitched at three levels in the Rays organization this year making appearances for the Montgomery Biscuits (Double-A), the Durham Bulls (Triple-A), and finally for the Rays at the Major League level.  Romero is a hard thrower with a very bright future.  I've featured a few of his cards on my blog during the past month.  Really inexpensive cards and well worth the risk.


2013 Topps Heritage Minor League Black Hak Ju Lee Clubhouse Collection Relic /50


I was really happy to pick up this card.  Numbered to just 50 copies, this is the only Durham Bulls relic or autograph in the Topps Heritage Minor League set this year.  It probably means they could have put Mike Fontent on the card and I would have bought it, but luckily they went with my favorite Korean shortstop prospect.  I actually really like the black background with the purple stripe.  Pretty catchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....