Sunday, June 26, 2016

and the 1985 Rookie of the Year Award goes to.....

Panini has put out a lot of booklet cards over the years.  It feels like the concept has lost a little bit of steam over time.  I remember a few years back I would frequently run into collectors who would trade their right arm, or half of the equity in their mortgage, for a chance at a booklet card.  Last week someone offered to sell me a Wil Myers booklet for $10 shipped.  Times have changed.

Just because demand has trickled off does not mean that there still aren't cool booklet cards to be found.  I have a few that I am always on the lookout for.  A few cool Cardinals ones, Durham Bulls, or just players I like to watch.  Two weeks ago I found a Cardinals booklet I have had my eye on for awhile....

From the Whiteyball era Cardinals.....



Stolen base artist extraordinaire Vince Coleman.  This card actually celebrates the 1985 Rookie of the Years in the American and National Leagues.  Coleman had a record setting 1985 becoming the first rookie in the history of the game to steal more than 100 bases as a rookie, ending the season with 110 thefts.


I have always liked Coleman's signature and have enjoyed collecting his cards over the years.  He's not a huge signer, but he's been in a fair number of products as a signer to keep 1980s Cardinals fans happy.  

The other side of the card is occupied by former White Sox player and manager Ozzie Guillen.  I am sure that most people remember his managing days over his playing days.  I am also sure that most people remember all the wrong things about his managerial career, which should definitely still be remembered, but ignores the fact that he ended the long World Series drought of the White Sox....




Back to Ozzie Guillen the player.  He was a defense first, offense second shortstop.  His offensive line from his Rookie of the Year season was .273/.291/.358 with 1 home run, 9 triples, and 21 doubles.  Not the strongest year, which brings me to a little something that I ran into while looking up a little information on both Coleman and Guillen.  

I am not entirely sure that either one of these players should have won the Rookie of the Year.  In Coleman's case I am sure that the stolen base record and a winning team went a long way in helping him win the award.  While the truly deserving player in the American League played on a terrible team, the rookie with the best season line in the National League played on a contender.  

The National and American League players who probably deserved to win were both pitchers.  The NL pitchers line: 20-9 record, 155 strikeouts, 1.20 WHIP, FIP 3,81, and an ERA+ of 106.  The AL pitchers line: 15-8 record, 127 strikeouts, 1.17 WHIP, FIP 3.77, and ERA+ of 107.  Any guesses?  

The National League pitcher.....



The American League pitcher.....




No comments:

Post a Comment

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...