Sunday, June 19, 2022

Where Is The Toasted Ravioli?

It's a busy day, so I am going to keep this short, simple, and sweet. I have people to see and places to go. 

My son, fifth grader, took one of his End-Of-Grade tests on Friday. He worked really hard, which is all I really care about on standardized tests. According to his teacher, he gave it.  

He choose a trip to the baseball card store and an Oreo Cookie Blizzard from Dairy Queen as his reward. There was a card show at the State Fairgrounds this weekend, but the little man does not always dig being in big crowds, so we went to our local card shop in Apex, North Carolina, Cardiacs.   

Sorry, no photos of the Oreo Cookie Blizzard. 

They're not exactly dollar boxes or quarter boxes, but they have a section of shoe boxes that has a lot of cards that are anywhere from a quarter to a few bucks. He loves them and will dig through them trying to find cards of players he has seen in games or has read about.  

This is half the wall. There are more boxes on the other side of the television. 




It was not my best photography day.  

Beyond getting a few single cards, we also picked up a few packs of Topps Series 2 cards. The little man pulled a few decent cards. Although, he also pulled a Javy Baez and Corey Dickerson, which were gifted to me because he does not like them.  


I did very well for myself, pulling a Home Field Advantage card of Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina. 



I had to pinch myself.  

I know the odds for these are pretty steep. I just wish the background included things that locals would recognize and appreciate and not just all the tourist attractions. I would throw a toasted ravioli on there, the Dirt Cheap Chicken, and one of those orange St. Louis City service trucks.  

I don't make custom cards, but here is my five minute effort to make this card feel more like St. Louis.   


That's all I got.  

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there.  

8 comments:

  1. Hope your son had fun.

    I actually lol'd at your custom Home Field Advantage card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it. I have never made a custom card, but I might have to try some more.

      Delete
  2. Nice father/son bonding moment. It's almost bedtime... but I'm now craving some toasted raviolis. Actually never had them, but it sounds/looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toasted Ravioli is a St. Louis dish, but every once in awhile you can find it at sports bars. It's a low-key great appetizer that everyone should be eating.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great trip to the LCS. He chose solid rewards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He keeps his rewards simple, no regrets with junk food and baseball cards.

      Delete
  4. Now I want to see you do customs for some other cities :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I might have to work on that. It would make for a fun post.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....