Monday, March 21, 2022

Random Ray - 1995 Topps Finest

The baseball card purist in me cringes when I see the Topps Finest cards from the second half of the 1990s. At the time, Finest was a popular, high-end brand and had done some innovative things with cards that are still around today. Namely, the brand created the refractor cards. The 1995 Finest was the start of a short-lived, terrible "innovation".

So, what was cringeworthy about the 1995 Topps?

Let's look at this week's Ray Lankford card.  


I love this photograph of Ray Lankford batting and wearing sunglasses. The blue, road Cardinals hat is an added bonus. What the heck is stamped across his face? It's actually a protective coating that was supposed to protect the surface of card from surface flaws. It is hideous. Definitely cringeworthy.  

Why was this a thing?  

I have long been tempted to go through my boxes of late 1990s Finest cards and rip all of the "Finest Protector" sheets off, but at the same time this is how the card came out of the pack. This has all the trappings of a good mid-1990s baseball card, but the fact that I even have to think about whether to peel a plastic protector off the card is a huge negative in my book.  

Back of the card.  

There is no protective cover on the back of the card, but it is mentioned in the small print at the bottom of the card. That's unfortunate. Topps should have gone ahead and just slapped one back here too.  


Skin Protector Pat. Pending. 

I hope they got turned down, but given that the skin protector lasted until 1999, I am guess they did not.  

2 comments:

  1. Finest has always been overrated to me. I hate the peels, most of the refractors didn't look that great, and now the greening. I try to avoid these cards whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of Finest. The initial sets were really good. Some of the more recent sets have been good, but Topps was on the struggle bus for about a decade with this product.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....