Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Random Ray - 1993 Topps Black Gold

The first series of 2022 Topps cards will soon be released and many people will open their packs of cards and find copies of Topps Gold parallels. The modern version of the Topps parallel set has been around since 2001. I liked the cards when they brought them back, but they have been lost in the shuffle amongst the vast sea of all the other camo and colored parallels Topps stuffs into their packs. The serial numbers on the back of the cards scream "half-assed" as well.  

I still like their appearance.  



Now, if you want a good Topps Gold card, I suggest you go back and look at some of the early 1990s Topps sets. The Gold parallels started in 1992 with cards coming roughly one-per-box. By 1993, Topps was putting one Gold card in every pack, with a Black Gold card in every two boxes, or thereabouts. The name is a little suspect. Black Gold? That's oil, right? 

The Topps Gold cards are not serial number or super rare, but they were fun to collect and had a better appearance and design than their modern equivalent. I am going to go with the Black Gold Ray Lankford card this week, as the design was used this past year for the Topps Archives set. I hate how much Topps reuses designs, but I still enjoyed these cards.  

This was one of the Archives cards.  




Topps did a good job of recreating of these cards.  

On to the 1993 Topps Black Gold Ray Lankford card.  


I love the contrast on these card with the solid black background and the gold design around the top and bottom. High contrast is always a good design element in my opinion.  I wish that Topps had used a photograph with Ray in a home white uniform for more contrast, but it's also hard to go wrong with the 1990s Cardinals road uniforms. The Cardinals consistently wore the blue hats on the road at that time. The photos on the Black Gold cards were also different than the base cards. For the time, given that there were fewer card products, it was nice to get an extra picture of your favorite player.  



This picture is the same as his Topps base card with the exception of the gold foil at the bottom and around the Topps logo at the top of the card.  

Although, I am almost certain that the two photographs came from the same game, maybe even the same at-bat. The gray wristbands are sort of a giveaway here. Ray Lankford wore the same style wristbands throughout his career, but they were always red or blue. I almost wonder if this wasn't some sort of special event, like the current Mother's Day games where the players wear pink.  

Back to the Black Gold and the back of the card.  



The back of the card has no stats. Usually I am a big fan of numbers, but for insert cards I am willing to forgo the statistics. Topps can not get enough of mentioning the fact that Ray Lankford played football at a junior college and rushed for 1,000 yards in a season. I am certain that if you took every Ray Lankford card ever produced by Topps, you would run across that fact at least a dozen times.  

The highlight for me is the mention of Ray Lankford's cycle. Have I ever mentioned the fact that I got to see the Ray Lankford cycle game in-person?  


Probably the same number of times that Topps mentioned Ray Lankford ran for 1,000 yards playing football at a junior college.  

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on it being okay if inserts don't have stats. As long as I get them on the base card, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and they're not the rapping/hip hop backs from the late 1990s Skybox cards.

      Delete
  2. That Upton card is cool because of the way the light is reflecting off of his helmet and sunglasses. The color of the border is completely irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I overlooked that aspect. Definitely cool. If only there were more day baseball games these days....

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....