Monday, December 20, 2021

Random Ray - 2000 Topps HD

Topps HD was only made for a few years in the early 2000s. It was essentially an attempt to duplicate Stadium Club's photography with ultra-thick card stock. The base set cards were fine, but I originally got into this set for the autographs. The autographed cards were on acetate card stock. I am almost sure that this was the first acetate set that I really enjoyed. There are only four autographed cards in Topps HD.  I have the complete set.  

My favorite card.....



Rick Ankiel hitting back when Rick Ankiel was a pitcher. The other autographs are Adrian Gonzalez, Todd Helton, and Mark Quinn.  

Back to the base cards and Ray Lankford.  

This is the front of the Ray Lankford card from the 2000 Topps HD set. While it's not exactly Stadium Club, the photography on the front of this card is very nice.  I like how Topps did the design on the player name box on the side of the card.  




The box is discolored to standout, but if you look at the batting box lines and back of Lankford's card, it does not fully interrupt the action shot of Lankford. That astroturf looks terrible. I am glad there are not many astroturf fields left in the Majors.  

Back of the card.  



I like the back of this card for several reasons. I will start small and work my way up to larger items. First, I like that the player information box on the side mirrors the player name box on the front of the card in terms of shape, location, and orientation. The stat box is not really all that deep, but I like the white background with the black print. The stat box pops and the numbers are easy to read. The most obvious feature is the color photograph in the background. A little weird to see McGwire in the on-deck circle with Lankford batting. Usually McGwire hit third, Lankford hit fourth.  

Overall, this is a quality baseball card.

6 comments:

  1. The photo is nice, not crazy about the design though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's essentially Stadium Club on really thick card stock. They had to do something to make it different. Given some of the other Topps designs from this era, it could be much worse.

      Delete
  2. A. Pretty cool that you completed the autograph set. I'm a big fan of building those.

    B. When I think of Topps HD, the first thing that comes to mind is the card's thickness. I feel like they could be used as ninja stars or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only all autograph sets were three or four cards. I had not thought about the thickness of these cards in terms on making ninja stars, but I am a big fan of table top football on indoor recess days. Might have to put one of these in the jumbo paper cutter/machete and see what I can make. That might be a post for next year.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite cards also. Wish I could find the Platinum parallel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of those 1990s/early 2000s parallel cards that only appear once in a blue moon.

      Delete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....