Thursday, July 23, 2020

One Dozen Local Basketball Cards Part #6

I found the basketball cards.  They were in a linen closet.  My three year old doesn't know how they got there.  Here is the backstory behind these cards.

Last month, I did a dozen that mainly featured the Cleveland Cavaliers with a few Mavericks mixed into the group.  I got all the colleges correct, but apparently Rolando Blackman was the best player in the group.  I defer to my readers, especially ones that know the NBA.  

The first half dozen for this week.  These are cards 61-66 in the 1990-1991 Skybox set.



The second half dozen.  These are cards 67 - 72 in the 1990-1991 Skybox set.




Here are some questions.  I know more about college basketball than the NBA, feel free to debate the answer to these questions in the space below.  I am not doing research for a basketball card post. 

Best player in this dozen: I feel like this is a tricky group.  A part of me wants to pick Sam Perkins, but maybe that's just because he's popular locally.  I also know Harper was a very good player.  However, I am almost positive that Adrian Dantley won multiple scoring titles at some point during his career.  Final answer, Adrian Dantley.  Go ahead and blast me in the comments if it was really Sam Perkins.    

Without looking (pinky swear) who went to what college.  

Last week I knew 8 out of 12.  So far, 35 out of the 60 players in the set.  This is a harder group.  

Sam Perkins - UNC
Adrian Dantley - Notre Dame 
Derek Harper - Illinois 
Roy Tarpley - Michigan 
Bill Wennington - McGill University?  Isn't Bill Canadian?  


Best Card Front: Bill Wennington.  He's a center, he's jumping, but the rim is not on the card.  

Best Card Back: Derek Harper just getting out of the shower.    

Best Cameo:  Charles Oakley on the Herb Williams card.  

Fun Fact: I feel lucky that I knew four colleges out of this group of players.  I do not know anything fun or interesting about any of them.  

2 comments:

  1. Pretty sure Dantley is in the HOF. Sleepy Sam isn't, so that's be a hard argument to win. That being said... I was very happy when he signed with the Lakers in the early 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised when you said that Dantley was a Hall of Famer. Had to look it up, it's true. I didn't realize he was that good. Sam Perkins may not be in the NBA Hall of Fame, but he is in the college basketball Hall of Fame. UNC also has his jersey hanging in the Dean Smith Center. I believe it's honored, not retired. Still a pretty big deal at that school.

      Delete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...