Sunday, May 31, 2020

A 10 Minute Break

It's the end of the school year, and there was so much to do last week.  The hardest part was going into my classroom, packing up my stuff for the end of the year, and also having to pack up all of my students' materials.  Luckily, I had taken down most of the things that were hanging on the walls of my room, and my students have bins with the majority of their materials inside.  Made it a little easier to organize.  No desks. 

Yes, my classroom was in a trailer this year. 



This afternoon I am finishing up my report cards, and doing all sorts of paperwork.  I am not a huge fan of paperwork, but everyone has to do it.  I am jumping through the hoop, but needed to take a few minutes to do something else.

Let me share a few cards that I picked up this week.  Small additions, but happy with each of these cards. 



 My first card is a Bowman's Best autographed card of Yankees prospect T.J. Sikkema.  He's one of my sleeper prospects.  I have never seen him pitch in person, but he played at Mizzou in college and had an ERA under 2 pitching in the SEC his junior year.  That's really good, and it's in a really tough college league.  The Yankees picked him at the end of the first round last year, and he made four starts in A Ball before the end of the summer.  His ERA was under 1 in A Ball, and he averaged more than a strikeout an inning. 

This was a $3 card. 

Next. 



I like this Bowman card of White Sox prospect Andrew Vaughn.  The 1989 Bowman design caught my eye.  I saw him play while he was in college at Cal.  Vaughn played at least one year for USA Baseball, maybe it was two.  The scratches are on the sleeve.  

Next.  



I have already posted a few Brandon Lowe cards in the last two or three weeks.  This is from Topps Tribute.  Nice card, thick card stock.  

Next.  



I was not a big fan of Will Clark back in the 1980s, but Clark ended up on the Cardinals at the end of his career.  He played great.  The Cardinals made it to the National League Championship Series that season.  I have long since forgiven Will for being upset about Jose Oquendo kicking him in the crotch for sliding hard into second base.  

Anyway, this is a really nice card.  I am not collecting all of the 1985 Topps reprints, but I am trying to find most of the players connected to the Cardinals or Durham Bulls.  

Last card.   



At times, I am bothered by the mash-up of older players and modern baseball cards.  Al Kaline is well done on this Triple Threads card.  This was in the package with the Will Clark card.  I always appreciate a free baseball card, especially one this nice.  

9 comments:

  1. I like Sikkema too. I'm always a fan of guys who pitched at the top of the rotation for big schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hadn't heard of Sikkema before. Great name. Hope the Yankees can 'sic him on opponents at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good. I am going to file this away to use for later. I will give credit where credit is due.

      Delete
  3. My goal is to work in my classroom tomorrow. Haven't been there in months. Not looking forward to it, but it's gotta get done. It'll be interesting to see how next year goes. I heard that we'll probably be doing distance learning at the start of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that way. We usually start school the first week of August, but the school board here just proposed changing the school calendar for next year to push back the start to the end of the month. It's going to be weird.

      Delete
    2. Well... I hope you're able to enjoy your summer break and recharge those batteries.

      Delete
  4. That 1985 reprints are beautiful. Great pickups.

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....