Wednesday, March 4, 2020

and now for some 2020 cards.

There have been 2020 baseball cards out for roughly a month.  I have not touched them on my blog, but if you follow my Twitter I have done a little posting about both the Topps base set and the Topps Heritage set.  Here's what you missed: I went to Target and bought a few packs of each product.  I got some decent cards out of each set, but don't get too worked up.  I am not going to finish either set. 

I am all in on single cards this year. 

Not really feeling the sets.  I think I said that I would do a Heritage set.  Not feeling it.  Maybe I will change my mind.  I do really like the design of the Heritage cards, so there is that. 

My first three single cards of 2020 are all from the base set, and are all somehow connected to the Cardinals.  That's two Cardinals cards, with players pictured as Cardinals.  One non-Cardinal card with a former Cardinal player pictured. 

Here we go. 



Who remembers last year when I posted 30 different Blake Snell autographs?  If I repeated that same activity, it would be with Jack Flaherty.  I am not going to do that though.  That was a lot of effort for one player.  I am not a set collector at the moment, but I also do not think I can narrow my collection down to just a few players.  Thirty different Blake Snell autographs felt like I was just collecting one player.  Flaherty is a great young player.  His cards are starting to get pricy, but they are not bad yet. 

Next. 




Junior Fernandez has some cheap autographs, and there are seemingly a ton of them.  Hopefully Topps will not turn him into the next Henry Owens, who was seemingly in every Topps product at a rate of one autograph per box a few years back.  Junior has a good arm.  I am going to file this card away and revisit it in a few years.  Let's hope I am happy.   

I like the 1985 style cards.  That's part of the reason I went after the Fernandez.  Same with the McGwire below.  




Seems wrong that he is not in his USA Baseball uniform for a 1985 style card, but still very nice.  I am not going to put together this insert set this year, but I am going to work on the Cardinals and Rays players, along with maybe trying to find an autograph or two of players who were actually around the league in 1985. 

I have seen a Strawberry and a Dawson, but neither really piqued my interest. 

6 comments:

  1. I've got extra Cardinals and Rays Heritage singles I'll trade for the few base I need, or any Heritage inserts or Decade's Best/Next.
    GCA - The Collective Mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me see what I need, and I will send you a message, or something.

      Delete
  2. Oh man... I totally want one of those McGwire relics for my collection. That card is awesome! As for Flaherty... I picked up an autographed rookie card of him, because it was cheap. Hopefully he can follow the same career path as Snell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's actually pretty similar to Max Scherzer in style and results. I hope he is as durable in the long run.

      Delete
  3. I don't know anything about Jack Flaherty, but I've seen his name mentioned a lot on Twitter, which usually means his card prices must be going up, and that people are beginning to "invest" in him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had an insane second half of the season last year. Really young too. He's going to be a really good pitcher for a really long time.

      Delete

2024 Blake Snell Autograph Count: 7

This is the ninety-seventh Blake Snell autograph in my collection and definitely the first with the word "Pentamerous" on the fron...