Thursday, August 29, 2019

Stained Glass Snell

Topps has dabbled with all sorts of stained glass cards in this past.  I think my favorites were in the late 1990s Topps Gallery sets, but those are long gone.  There have been others along the way, some better than others. This year Topps made a set of stained glass cards in their Ginter set.  It's one of the mini parallels.  

It took me a bit, but I found a copy of the Blake Snell card.  This is a great looking card.  



It reminds me a lot of the acetate cards from the flagship in terms of the materials and how the light goes through the card.  The "glass" portions of the card are translucent, not transparent, or actual glass.  I am not sure about the actual design in the background behind Snell.  Are those palm trees?  That's what I think they are, but I might be wrong. The light provides good contrast with the black frame around the edge of the card, and the shadow looking figure on the back of the card.....




The card back reminds me a lot of the acetates too, but I wish they had done something more with the player image on the back.  I know that the back is black to block out the light, but the shadow figure isn't the greatest for the design.  Not sure what they should have done here, but it feels empty.  

Love the card though.  

3 comments:

  1. As much as I love refractors... and framed parallels... these stained glass cards get my vote for "parallel of the year"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost wish Topps would make a set of cards like this.

      Delete
    2. If it was affordable, I'd be all over them if they did.

      Delete

Random Ray - 2023 Panini Flawless

It turns out that Ray Lankford had two autographs in Panini Flawless. I added one a few weeks back and won the other in an auction on Ebay l...