Sunday, July 1, 2018

You Don't Need A Quadraphonic Blaupunkt

One of the better pitching prospects I have seen come through Durham was current Rays pitcher Blake Snell.  While he was a member of the Bulls he named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year.  He was just simply dominate posting a 1.41 ERA and almost 11 strikeouts per nine innings that season between three different Rays Minor League teams.

I was fortunate enough to see Snell pitch a few times for the Durham Bulls.



Even started a small collection of Blake Snell cards that I have slowly added to over the last three years.  Admittedly, Snell was pretty hit or miss in both 2016 and 2017 for the Rays.  There were some really good moments, also some rough stretches.  As a baseball fan though, I have always been really impressed by his stuff.......




That curveball.  Everyone in the show needs one, more than some fancy Porsche.

Not sure I have really done much with posting Snell cards in awhile, so I will show off my two newest additions which both come from the Tier One product.  




First up is a base autograph.  It's numbered to 275, which I know is high, but I like the looks of this card better than some of the colored parallels in this set.  I am not even sure you can really call them colored, they are just varying shades of gray and black signed in silver pen.  If I find one cheap enough I will post it, but they are not the cleanest looking design concept.  

The grayish/silver background with the blue ink is nice in my world, especially since it matches up well with the Rays color scheme.  

Last one for today.  




The card stock on this card is pretty incredible.  It's thick.  I like the general design of the card, horizontal always works for me, especially on autographed cards.  The only thing I do not dig about this card is the fact that it is a sticker autograph.  A little odd that Topps makes three different style autographs in the Tier One product, has a player hand sign two versions of their card and then places a sticker autograph on the third.  

I am sure there is some good reason for it, right?  

More Snells later.  





1 comment:

  1. Wow. Weird that Snell has two on-card autographs and one sticker in Tier One. Maybe the jersey card was produced after his private signing with Topps?

    ReplyDelete

Around The Card Room, Take 17

I got my first job was pushing in carts and bagging groceries at the Dierbergs in Manchester, Missouri during my junior year of high school....